Mails sitting in Poison queue Exchange 2019

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I have seen in past few days, few mails have been sitting in Poison queues in our Exchange 2019 servers. Sometimes there are no errors with those mails, sometimes it says "LED=530 5.3.0 Too many related errors" , sometimes "LED=421 4.4.2 Connection dropped due to ConnectionReset".

The mail's been delivered to other recipients but for some recipients the mail is queued up in Poison queues.

So, not sure why the emails are qualified as poisonous, need some info on what we can do as admins on such situations?

I know that we can either export the messages manually or just reject these messages with/without NDR.

2 Replies

Hi @PoorMens_Bravo,

in Exchange 2019, messages may be placed in the Poison queue if their processing causes server failures.
These messages can potentially harm server performance or lead to its failure.

Here are steps to manage these messages:

1. Export Messages: Use the Export-Message cmdlet to export messages to .eml files. Resubmit them by placing in the Replay directory.

2. Resume Messages: Utilize the Resume-Message cmdlet to resume messages in the poison queue. These messages aren't automatically resumed or expired; manual action is needed.

3. Remove Messages: If messages can't be resumed or are unnecessary, remove them from the queue.

Investigate why messages ended up in the Poison queue to prevent future occurrences.

[SOLVED] Exchange Poison Queue (spiceworks.com)

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Did you find a cause for this as we have seen a few instances of this in the last few days?