Worksheet stopped updating

Copper Contributor

I have about 16 Excel 2016 files that were created in a similar fashion. These were all working fine until about a month ago and now none of them will update correctly.

Each file has 2 or more worksheets. The first worksheet is formatted as a pretty "report" and the other worksheet(s) hold the data that is used on the "report". I am exporting data from an Access database into these other worksheet(s) and until recently when the file was opened, the formatted report would automatically update with the most recent exported data on the other worksheet(s). Now the formatted report doesn't update unless the user clicks CTRL ALT SHIFT F9, which is not an acceptable option. There are no links to external files - all of the formulas on the "report" are of the following format: =MData!$D2*1.9835 or =MData!$Z3 or =PlanYear!F2 where MData and PlanYear are the names of the other worksheets.

I have done a lot of web searching about this issue, which is where we found the CTRL ALT SHIFT F9 workaround, but we really need these files to update when they open as we email them to various customers and don't want them to have to click these keys every time they open the newest version of the file. We have verified that the automatic calculation is turned on, which seems to be the main answer that everyone posts when I've searched for this issue.

Has there been a recent update to Excel 2016 that could be causing this issue? As I mentioned these files were all working correctly until about a month ago or so. Any suggestions are welcome!

1 Reply
I strongly suspect these files are set to manual calculation or that a (hidden) workbook or perhaps even an add-in has calculation set to manual. To test for the latter, start Excel in safe mode (press and hold the control key while you launch Excel) and subsequently open one of those 16 files to determine if it updates. If so, the problem is with either an add-in or with e.g. personal.xlsb being set to manual calc mode.
If that doesn't work, load one of those 16 files and set calculation to automatic and save. repeat for the other 15 files.