Unable to Connect to Web Source With Credentials in Power Query

Copper Contributor

I have tried to connect to 20+ websites that require sign-in credentials using Power Query without success.  I am able to login using Chrome so the credentials are correct.  The error I receive is below.  I have clicked Edit Credentials and re-entered the creds, only to get the same error.  I have cleared the permissions in Power Query and re-done numerous times without success.  Also, I'm certain I have used the feature successfully around a year ago.

Is there a setting in Power Query that enables connecting with credentials?  Any other ideas?

edit credentials.png

27 Replies

@Tim Scott, it's not necessarily a one-off solution. If your Web site uses cookies to avoid logging in each time like mine does, the solution will work until the cookie expires, at which time you will have to reuse the Legacy wizard to log back in again.

I have just tried this. Used the legacy wizard to disconnect from the site, at which time the power query stopped working. Logged back in again via the Legacy wizard and the query started working again.

I´m dealing with exakt the same problem. Any news to that? Searched the whole web, but no success.

@AlbertZ I am also facing the same exact issue. I have the correct credentials, yet, when I enter them into the PowerQuery (web) section, excel tells me it is invalid. Anyone find solutions?

@caramd had a suggestion above. I found the best answer was using the Legacy Wizards and not Power Query, but I had other reasons (relating to file structure and end user experience) too.

@Justin1245 

Try also to open "Internet Explorer" then login to the site. Then once you are logged in, refresh query.
I have to do this always, in my case. If IE is closed, query fail to refresh (unable to connect). Hope this will help

From my discussions with Microsoft, PowerQuery does not handle authentication.
To avoid having to open IE, you will need to use the legacy wizard.

@Toynk Accounting 

Hi,

Share your URL to connect using Power Query.