SOLVED - Drag to “fill” not working -- copies value and not formula - #2

Copper Contributor

I found this post title which describes the same issue:

drag to “fill” not working – value is copied, formula ignored

That solution is "missing a 'relative' reference". I don't think that's the problem here.

I have an exported bookkeeping account worksheet with three columns: Debit, Credit, Balance. I'm looking for missing transactions and short payments. All of the cells currently are values, and this is the only formula.

First, I'm inserting a blank line, and adding an adjusting calculation (A).

Then I update the Balance column with a simple formula (B) to create a running balance with DR - CR.--bog simple.

For a reason I can't understand, when I drag the corner handle down to lower cells (C), Excel correctly copies the cell formula with incrementing references (D), but it flags an error and displays the same value.

Did I accidentally click a Bizzaro-World keyboard shortcut? What is going on here and how do I fix it?

Capture-01.PNGCapture-03.PNG

3 Replies

@xtian 

Activate the Formulas tab of the ribbon.

Make sure that Calculation Options in the Calculation group is set to Automatic

Look at the status bar at the bottom of the workbook window.

Make sure that you do not see Circular References.

UGG! Solved.
The adjustment (A) was a calculation using the Balance column value--which I replaced with a formula! 

Based on the arrows, I'm guessing the error that was flagged was a circular reference error? (if not please tell us what the error was)
You also don't tell us the formula you added for the "adjusting calculation (A)", but I suspect that is causing the circular ref error. if you don't need that formula anymore (i.e. used it to calc the value but don't need it to keep/dynamically update then copy and "paste values only" to overwrite the formula with just the value.