Renaming a web hyperlink after linking it from another tab

Copper Contributor

Hello I am trying to do the following but receiving an error. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

1. On Tab A I have a column of web hyperlinks listed

2. On Tab B I am trying to link a cell to a web hyperlink and rename it to something shorter than the web hyperlink

3. I am successfuly with linking the hyperlink from Tab A to Tab B and when I click on the link it works

4. I want to re-name the hyperlink to a shorter name and when I do that using the Hyperlink function it works but then I go to click on the new hyperlink name and receive an error message. Is this possible to do?

My ultimate goal is to have a master tab that houses all of the hyperlinks and have those hyperlinks linked to other tabs in the worksheet. When there is a change to that hyperlink, I can make the change on the master tab and it will automatically make the change on the other tabs. 

8 Replies

Hi @exceluser6614 

I'm not fully understanding your question, however, I want to point out that you the option to name a hyperlinked cell with a different name than the hyperlink itself.

You can right-click on a cell, click on link/ edit link and then you will get to a window like the below:

Hyperlink question.PNG

The area marked in blue is where you can enter a custom name for your hyperlink and the area marked in red is where you can enter the hyperlink itself. after you are done, just click OK.

About the HYPERLINK function, you need to make sure to enter both the address and friendly name arguments between double-quotes.

for example =  HYPERLINK("http://www.ExcelBonanza.com", "Excel Bonanza Website")

Hope that helps.

let me know if that works for you.

Regards,

Abdelrahman Abdou,

Certified Microsoft Excel Expert, Consultant.

Founder, Owner @ ExcelBonanza.com

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

ExcelBonanza.com

Connect on Linkedin | Youtube | Facebook

Thank you for the response! I have tried this and it is not working and also not giving me the option to do a right click and "edit hyperlink". I think it is because I am pulling the hyperlink from another tab vs. just typing it into the cell. In the past I am beginning to think its not possible to do what I am trying. @AAbdou 

Hi @exceluser6614 ,

I'm still not fully understanding your problem or what you need to do. If you would be able to post screenshots to explain more that would be great.

Abdelrahman Abdou,

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

ExcelBonanza.com

Hello,

I posted screen shots below. 

In the first screen shot you see that I have a list of hyperlinks on the master tab. 

clipboard_image_2.png

On the second screen shot you will see that by using the HYPERLINK function I am linking a cell on sheet 1 to a hyperlink on the master tab.

clipboard_image_4.png

The third screen shot below shows what happens when I try to add a friendly name. The friendly name shows up when when you click on it you get the error message below. 

clipboard_image_3.png

I believe this is happening because I am linking to a cell on the master tab and not typing in a hyperlink on this page. I need the hyperlinks on sheet 1, 2, 3 etc to link back to the master tab so that when I make a change on the master tab it automatically makes the change in the other sheets. 

@AAbdou 

Hi @exceluser6614 ,

From what I can see, the issue is that the link is written as www.google.com instead of http://www.google.com

You need to make sure to write http:// before the website address, and then you won't get the error.

Regards,

Abdelrahman

Thank you for the suggestion. I added the http:// and it still does not work. I am getting the same error message as before. @AAbdou 

@exceluser6614 

Then I guess I can't figure out what your issue is. The only thing that can help me is trying everything myself on your computer. sorry for that. Would've loved to help further.

Abdelrahman Abdou,

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

ExcelBonanza.com

@exceluser6614 

As in your third screenshort try to change text "Master!A1" on reference Master!A1. In general it works:

Master:

image.png

Another sheet:

image.png

Google is opened correctly from here.