Outline Groups in protected sheet in Sharepoint.

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I need to enable outlining groups in protected sheets. 

I made that work perfectly fine in the Excel App with VBA.

However, the sheet was now shared with my team and uploaded in Sharepoint and I noticed that the Code is not running in the Web Version. 

I did not find any way to allow outlining in the web version so far, so I wondered if it is even possible, e.g. with Office Scripts or if people would always need to open the app with the risk of asynchronization when working together at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

1 Reply

@Uncle_J00 

Enabling outlining groups in protected sheets in SharePoint's web version can indeed be challenging, as VBA code does not run in the web version of Excel. However, there are alternative approaches you can explore:

1. Office Scripts: Office Scripts is a feature in Excel for the web that allows you to automate tasks using JavaScript-based scripts. While it does not have all the capabilities of VBA, it may offer some options for manipulating the worksheet structure, including outlining groups. You can explore the Office Scripts documentation and see if it provides the functionality you need.
  2. Custom Add-ins: You can develop a custom add-in using web technologies like JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. This add-in can provide additional functionality, including the ability to manipulate the worksheet structure. Custom add-ins can be designed to work in both the desktop and web versions of Excel, providing a consistent experience across platforms.
  3. Power Automate: You can use Power Automate (formerly known as Microsoft Flow) to automate tasks in SharePoint and Excel. While it may not directly support outlining groups, you can use it for other automation tasks related to your worksheet.
  4. User Education: Alternatively, you can educate your team on the limitations of the web version of Excel and encourage them to use the desktop version for tasks that require VBA or advanced functionality.

Ultimately, the best approach depends on your specific requirements, technical expertise, and the preferences of your team. You may need to experiment with different solutions to find the one that works best for your situation.Formularbeginn The text and steps was created with the help of AI.

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.