INDIRECT cell referencing x 2

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I work for a builder and I have a workbook with about 60 identical sheets named after suite numbers (101, 102 etc) and then a final "OVERVIEW" sheet that pulls information from all others. I currently use the following formula in cell C8 of the OVERVIEW sheet with similar formulas across 30-40 columns.

=INDIRECT(OVERVIEW!A8&"!"&"$D$56")

Cell A8 in OVERVIEW contains the sheet name from which to return the contents of cell D56

The problem is that from one project to another the layout of my 60 identical sheets may change causing the D56 cell reference to become obsolete. I will then have to change one formula in each of the 30-40 columns and then copy down each column to correct this, which is time consuming.  I would like to be able to reference a cell in OVERVIEW (C6) that contains the name of the cell (D56) to look at in the other sheets. This way if cell D56 becomes cell D58 on another project, all I have to do is change the contents of C6 in OVERVIEW and all of the formulas in that column will automatically change without editing a single formula or copying down. Is this possible?

2 Replies

@dborg1330 

You could use

=INDIRECT("'"&OVERVIEW!A8&"'!"&OVERVIEW!$C$6)
Thank you so much! That works perfectly and will save me a bunch of leg work!