SOLVED

how to use the change of a cell value as a condition

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I am trying to create a conditional function based on the change of a cell value. ie:

I have 2 cells, B3 (that contains a date) and C3(that is empty).

I would like to write in C3:  IF  B3 changes THEN C3="changed" ELSE C3="unchanged".

The table is connected to a data base and I want to see if new dates are updated in the column B.

Does anyone know a function that confirms if a cell has changed or not? I am hoping I won't need to use VBA.

Thank you kindly

7 Replies
Hello, I didnt catch what you mean by IF B3 Changes to what?

@Bo_Songa 

Probably you mean IF B3 is empty

Abiola1_0-1586313289426.png

@Abiola1 

Hello Abiola,

No I really mean if B3 changes...

The table is connected to a data base and I want to see if new dates are updated in the column B.

Thank you for looking into my inquiry!

best response confirmed by Bo_Songa (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bo_Songa  changed from what? when?  I know what you want but what I see is you look at the sheet today and the date in b3 is Jan 1,2020 and you create the magic formula in c3.  Now the next time you look at the sheet it is Feb 1, 2020 and the formula say "changed" yay.  But now what?  Do you expect this magic formula to reset?  if so when?  if it resets too soon maybe you won't notice it said changed before it resets to unchanged.  

I think the easiest you could do is make d3 =if(b3=c3,"unchanged","changed")

and then each time to visit the sheet you copy b3 (or col b) and paste values into c3 (or col c)

*edit* actually 1 more thought.  what about making formula in c3 =b3 and turn calculation to manual only.  If the database causes the sheet to update and save you might have to disable the default 'calculate before saving'  and then you have to click 'calculate now' before you exit and save.

Hello @mtarler 

I thought indeed of copying the col B into col C and doing the conditional function you mentioned in col D, but it does not work since excel sets priority to predecessor. I know I could use the tracker tool in the Formula ribbon but it is not very practical when more than one cell has to be checked. I  was wondering if there was a more straight forward way to do this in one command. The report would be produced daily(week day basis) and may or may not show new dates in col B.  I wanted to create an indicator of that change col C (or D).

thx

@Bo_Songa  here's another thought.  Use conditional formatting.  So make col C = col B but make the sheet manual calculations.  Use conditional formatting if col B <> col C.  Then after the database updates the values and because you have manual calculations on (i.e. it won't autocalculate) then col B and col C will be different and conditional formatting will highlight those rows.  of course that only works if you can turn off automatic calculations

Hello ,@mtarler 

Thank you again for giving me a hand with this inquiry. I have turned off the automatic calculation option and it works. However, I had to calculate one cell after the other. That means I could not have one entire column copied into the next one while the automatic calculation option was disabled. This constitutes a big issue since my report can have hundreds of lines. Would you know how I can get around having to calculate every cell one by one.

Kindest regards, 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bo_Songa (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bo_Songa  changed from what? when?  I know what you want but what I see is you look at the sheet today and the date in b3 is Jan 1,2020 and you create the magic formula in c3.  Now the next time you look at the sheet it is Feb 1, 2020 and the formula say "changed" yay.  But now what?  Do you expect this magic formula to reset?  if so when?  if it resets too soon maybe you won't notice it said changed before it resets to unchanged.  

I think the easiest you could do is make d3 =if(b3=c3,"unchanged","changed")

and then each time to visit the sheet you copy b3 (or col b) and paste values into c3 (or col c)

*edit* actually 1 more thought.  what about making formula in c3 =b3 and turn calculation to manual only.  If the database causes the sheet to update and save you might have to disable the default 'calculate before saving'  and then you have to click 'calculate now' before you exit and save.

View solution in original post