Help regarding extracting data

Brass Contributor

I have data on a sheet, which contains table which have

1)an item code

2) name of item

3)calculation in a tabular form

4)unit of measurement of content

5) its computed value

I want to seperate data in a seperate place in a tabular form as shown in J5,K5,L5,M5

The number of rows in table varies, but the values will be in the same format.

4 Replies

@Saty_Rana 

I'm hesitant to even enter into this one. From where I sit, you'll have to do a lot more explaining of what this is part of.

Such things as "Where does this information come from in the first place?" Specifically, is there another spreadsheet to which this is (or can be) linked? One that has the raw data that go into these forms, from which (if I understand your question) you're wanting to extract a few items.

It just looks at present as if you're coming into the middle of something that has already been designed using Excel mostly as a device to print an invoice or a work order or something nice as Output, but you're using it to collect data too, And usually that kind of design is a mistake, for exactly the reason that is facing you here--you want to take selected pieces of information OUT of a form that has no consistent design.

So if I were to sit down with you--which I won't be doing--I'd want to go back a few steps and look at the whole process, where all those numbers and parts and specs come from....and create a decent database as the foundation.

I'd be delighted if one of the more advanced Excel experts can help you, but my guess is that they'll have at least as many questions for you as I've posed.

greetings and thank you sir for taking out time and replying to my query. i will send the original files here sheet 1 contains the data we are provided, which is fed into sheet 2, calculations are made in sheet 2, and the data is computed, the data I want to segregate is fed into sheet 3, the data in sheet 3 is used for making estimation of various works like construction of buildings, bridges, protection works etc. Now data is collected in sheet 1 from market survey, and as they change so the values in sheet 2 and sheet 3, now i want to use this segregated data to fill it in sheet 3. i hope you get it, sorry for inconvenience caused

best response confirmed by Saty_Rana (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I will defer to the greater expertise of others. From what I see, however, I think a total redesign is in order. There's just no consistent or systematic use of Excel's abilities to retrieve data from a database table. Users are simply (from what I could see) entering a cell address in Sheet 1 to fill in a cell in Sheet 2....I didn't look at every cell, but what I did see showed no evidence of using INDEX, MATCH, VLOOKUP, or any of the other commonly used methods to manipulate data.

So as I said, I'll defer happily to others if they can make a useful suggestion beyond "redesign"... And I apologize for possibly raising your hopes prematurely.
Please don't applozize, I appreciate you, thank you

Regards
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Saty_Rana (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I will defer to the greater expertise of others. From what I see, however, I think a total redesign is in order. There's just no consistent or systematic use of Excel's abilities to retrieve data from a database table. Users are simply (from what I could see) entering a cell address in Sheet 1 to fill in a cell in Sheet 2....I didn't look at every cell, but what I did see showed no evidence of using INDEX, MATCH, VLOOKUP, or any of the other commonly used methods to manipulate data.

So as I said, I'll defer happily to others if they can make a useful suggestion beyond "redesign"... And I apologize for possibly raising your hopes prematurely.

View solution in original post