Graphing with Excel

Copper Contributor

Dear Sir

Thank you for your time.

I have two columns of data to graph. The X axis is mm. The Y axis is RI of a glass preform. The data is +/-. The data has some sharp transients. I want to be able to scan the x axis to find and mark these places with sharp transients with vertical lines. Is this possible with Excel?

best regards Tony

1 Reply

@Anthony_Beaman 

It is possible to scan the X-axis data in Excel and mark places with sharp transients using vertical lines on a graph.

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:

1. Enter your X-axis data (mm) in one column and the corresponding Y-axis data (RI values) in another column.
  2. Select both columns of data.
  3. Go to the "Insert" tab in the Excel ribbon and choose the desired chart type to create a graph (e.g., scatter plot, line chart).
  4. Adjust the formatting and appearance of the chart as desired.
  5. Right-click on the chart, and from the context menu, select "Select Data."
  6. In the "Select Data Source" dialog, click on the "Add" button to add a new series.
  7. In the "Edit Series" dialog, enter a name for the new series.
  8. For the series values, select the X-axis data column (mm).
  9. For the series Y values, select a column of values where you want the vertical lines to be located (e.g., a column with 1s and 0s indicating the presence of sharp transients).
  10. Click "OK" to close the dialogs and apply the changes.
  11. The chart will now display the vertical lines at the positions where the corresponding values in the selected column indicate sharp transients.
  12. You can further customize the appearance of the lines (e.g., color, style) by selecting the series and modifying its formatting options.

By using this approach, you can visually mark places with sharp transients on your graph using vertical lines based on the data in a separate column. The text and steps were created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.