SOLVED

Formula for figuring prices including percentages

Copper Contributor

I am new to Excel and Formulas ... I would like a formula for figuring sales prices for selling on eBay, including eBay fees.  For example:  $10 base item price plus 12.9% eBay fee + $.30 eBay fee + 10% personal fee equal total listing price.  I'm sure it's not that diffuclt but I'm having a difficult time figuring it out.  Can someone help me?  Thank you!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Tina_Edwards (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Tina_Edwards 

I've attached a spreadsheet that does this two different ways. It depends on the sequence of adding in those fees.

=Base*(1+EbayFee)*(1+PersFee) yields $12.42

=Base *(1+EbayFee+PersFee) yields $12.29

By the way, there are always other ways to write these formulas. For example

=Base+(Base*EbayFee)+(Base*PersFee) yields the same $12.29 as the formula shown above.

(Refer back to your high school math and the commutative properties of multiplication and addition)

@mathetes 

Thank you!  The problem is that many years ago (ahem, over 40!) Math wasn't my strong suit, and I don't think my understanding has gotten much better.  But I appreciate the examples ... I can work with those and figure it out.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

I just looked at the spreadsheet you attached ... I knew there was a way to do it but I just couldn't wrap my mind around it ... your spreadsheet makes PERFECT sense to me!! Thanks again!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tina_Edwards (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Tina_Edwards 

I've attached a spreadsheet that does this two different ways. It depends on the sequence of adding in those fees.

=Base*(1+EbayFee)*(1+PersFee) yields $12.42

=Base *(1+EbayFee+PersFee) yields $12.29

By the way, there are always other ways to write these formulas. For example

=Base+(Base*EbayFee)+(Base*PersFee) yields the same $12.29 as the formula shown above.

(Refer back to your high school math and the commutative properties of multiplication and addition)

View solution in original post