Excel sum/counting issue

Copper Contributor

Hi there.   am literally pulling my hair out and wonder if anyone else has come across this issue and can advise.  Use excel all the time.. got a new laptop from work last week ..   was OK and still is in some of the applications .. ie., downloading data from e-conomics system .. its fine .. can do calculations .. use autosum or whatever I want ..   also customize status bar showing the calculations etc... 

but downloading data from a specific site we use for logging hours/expenses,  when I download from there, the customize status bar only shows the count .. nothing else even though everything is ticked off as it should be.   My colleagues can download from this site with no worries ..  I sent copies of my files to colleagues, to support of this particular site and again, all works as it should.. so its just me..

any advice ?  

6 Replies

@JanetHaw 

I understand your frustration with the Excel sum/counting issue you're facing. It's strange that the problem only occurs with data downloaded from a specific site and not with data from other sources. Let's try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check Excel Settings:

• Go to File > Options > General.
  • Under "Display," ensure "Show formula bar" and "Show status bar" are checked.
  • Under "Editing," make sure "Enable AutoSum" is checked.
  • Click "Customize Status bar" and verify that the desired calculations (e.g., Sum, Average, Count) are selected.

2. Review Cell Formatting:

• Select the cells containing the data you want to summarize.
  • Go to the "Home" tab and check the Number Format dropdown.
  • Ensure the format is set to "Number" or "Currency" (if applicable) and not "Text." Text formatting prevents numerical calculations.

3. Disable Add-ins:

• Go to File > Options > Add-ins.
  • Click "Manage" and select "COM Add-ins."
  • Click "Go" and uncheck any add-ins that might be interfering with Excel's functionality.
  • Restart Excel and try again.

4. Repair Excel:

• Right-click on the Excel shortcut or icon and choose "Properties."
  • Go to the "Compatibility" tab.
  • Click "Change settings for all users."
  • Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "Windows 7" or "Windows 8."
  • Click "Apply" and "OK."
  • Restart Excel and see if the issue persists.

5. Check for Updates:

• Open Excel and go to File > Account.
  • Under "Product Information," click "Check for Updates."
  • Install any available updates and restart Excel.

Additional Tips:

• Create a new Excel file and try downloading the data there to see if the issue persists.
  • If you have a shared network drive or cloud storage, try downloading the data to your local machine and see if the problem persists.
  • Check if there are any known compatibility issues between Excel and the specific website you're using. You can search online for solutions or contact the website's support.

If none of these suggestions resolve the issue, you can consider contacting Microsoft support for further assistance. They may be able to diagnose the problem more accurately based on your specific system configuration and Excel version.

I hope this helps!

@smylbugti222gmailcom 

Hi there .. thank you so much for responding, much appreciated ..   all these steps I have gone thru and tried but nothing has changed.  Its so weird, cause downloading from other apps, there isn't an issue !  and it never used to be a problem before I got this new laptop ..   very frustrating....   anyhooo's thank you and I will contact the support and see if that resolves .   thanks again !  kindest,  Janet  

@JanetHaw 

So, something doesn't work on new laptop and works well on other ("old") laptops. Without the files it's hard to discuss details, but I'd first check difference in regional settings for new and old laptops. For Windows you may find them as

Win+R

control international

Ok

at this window and in Additional settings. Check everything - dates, list separator, etc.

Hi Sergei, I have checked the above and same same .. so that's fine. I have also been on to our support team and they spent a few hours trying to resolve but nothing!

Basically if I sent you an example of my file, when you opened it, it would look OK .. I can open other applications where I pull an excel report and they work fine. Its just this one application where it is not working. All my other colleagues can download from it fine, so its not the application. I can send a copy of the excel not working to a colleague or my support team and again when they open its OK ..

We have run error files, we have removed and uploaded again Microsoft package which incls. excel but that hasn't changed anything either ..

so am at a loss as to what I can do .. remove all the files from new laptop and start again ?
Hi there .. I have managed to resolve it .. checked the downloads settings and turned off the open office files in browser and it works .. so using Edge had an effect obviously .. anyways, it fixed the issue, thank goodness !

thanks for your help .. really appreciated that you tried ! and its probably sheer luck I found the fix .. but heyho .. will take what I can get :):)
you take care now and thanks again .. kindest, Janet

@JanetHaw 

This is because  computer thinks it as test not number.

First solution is  :

• Select the cells containing the data you want to summarize.
  • Go to the "Home" tab and check the Number Format dropdown, or just right click and select format cells
  • Ensure the format is set to "Number" or "Currency" (if applicable) and not "Text." Text formatting prevents numerical calculations.

But if it is not working then

Second  solution is :

• Select cells ----Go to DATA---- Text to Columns------select fix width- next -next go to ADVANCE
  • In Advance field replace Decimal separator by comma separator which make it number.---- OK and Finish