SOLVED

Excel ran out of resources while attempting to calculate one or more formulas.

Copper Contributor

Excel ran out of resources while attempting to calculate one or more formulas. As a result, these formulas cannot be evaluated.

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting the above error message when opening or doing any sort of calculation on any file (even opening a blank file and typing in =2+2).

Steps I have taken:

1. Restart PC

2. Reinstall Excel/Office

3. Turned off multi-threading in Options / Advanced / Formulas

4. Gone down to 1 processor in Options / Advanced / Formulas

A support agent from Microsoft also spent about half an hour playing around remotely, seemed to do the tests above and a few others which I can't recall but wasn't able to resolve. They sent me here.

Files which have the issue on my laptop, I've emailed to another PC and they're working fine. Laptop I'm using has an i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 1.69 GHz 8.00GB RAM

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Luke

36 Replies

@makapu 

This did not work for me (reverting to old version of Excel), but what did work was changing the number of processors to manual in Options > Advanced > Formulas. I have 20 processors and for some reason changing it to use only 19 fixed the error from popping up.

@monkey220ms 

I actually continued to have this issue all yesterday - it worked for a while but then would sometimes pop up again. I would play around with restarting excel, changing the number of cores, and sometimes it would work again but then it got to a point where the sheets weren't calculating correctly so I looked more for a solution.

What worked for me what downloading and reinstalling 64 bit Office365 - I had seen this mentioned in another thread but I think I had 32 bit downloaded because when I went to uninstall/reinstall and selected 64 bit, it said I had to remove this other thing before it would let me (implying that I had 32 bit downloaded the whole time). Now that I have 64 bit it is working.

@makapu 

I am having this same issue all of a sudden. Everything I type into a file or even if I try to expand a column, I will get this 'ran out of resources' alert.  The action happens and I'm able to continue, but the alert prevents any two consecutive actions on my part without having to clear the alert.

I'm running on MacBook Pro M1 and using Microsoft Excel for Mac version 16.70 (23021201).

Would appreciate any guidance to help fix this.  Additional info (not sure if related) -- yesterday I was running several workbooks with various vlookups and pivot tables. At some point I started to get the dreaded spinning circle after every action, but it would eventually resolve. I have shut down the app, shut down my laptop and restarted with no other apps running. I've check Activity Monitor and it's not consuming much. Now it is responding quickly, but just giving that Alert message after every entry or movement.

Thank you @makapu! I followed these steps and this seems to have fixed the issue for me. I was using the latest version 2302(Build 16130.20332) and as soon as I reverted to 2209 (Build 15629.20208) the problem immediately went away. I left microsoft a complaint via feedback

@LukeFM Try looking for a crazy looking formula that was made by mistake. For instance, this formula by itself in a workbook will cause it to run out of resources. I had this in someone's Excel workbook that I had to look at today. I would just save some copies and delete sections until you find it. 

=+G152:RG141152:S152:QG152

@makapu 

Hi,  I am trying to enableytour fix but am stumbling at the CMD command line as per the attached. I am sure I am doing someing very silly.... might you point out what???

with regards 

CRMcD1984_0-1681488905128.png

@makapu 

CRMcD1984_0-1681547985296.png

Apologies: on inspection I find the CMD commands you advised have indeed reverted Excel to build 15629.20208 BUT, sadly, the problem continues. What on earth am I doing wrong????

with regards

I have the same problem, tried like 5 different builds with no results. What interesting though, on my working computer at office file opens and works well. It has Windows 10, at home I use Windows 11 and excel just refuses to work with my worksheet... It is terrible, and hurts my business. Bill, do something

@Hans Vogelaar Thank you very much getting it out of safe mode worked!

@makapu 

Thanks for this! 

I followed this advise a while ago. It solved the problem. However, I am trying to use the IMAGE function and it's not showing up as an option for me. My guess is this is because I reverted back to that older version of Excel. I believe I would like to undo this change you suggested. What should I enter in the cmd?

@LukeFM This is happening to me too! I have NO FORMULAS in my worksheet, it's simply a list of patients who need their Well Child exam. Unless dates are considered formulas??? I have restarted the computer, copied the worksheet to a new file, used search... go to special to find formulas that I didn't know about (it found none). Now, this is a very important worksheet! We want our child patients to get their well child exams! Can you help? I have an HP laptop (17-by3xxx is what I find when I attempt to find out what it's called when I choose "About" from the settings menu) with Windows 10 installed (build 19045.3208) and I use Excel 365 and I just checked that I have the latest version. HELP!

@hillbillyfairy 

Formula could be like =G152:RG141152:S152:QG152 as in one of previous post. I'd check all cells which start from =

Ctrl+F is the simplest way.

@Sergei Baklan I searched for formulas using the "go to special..." reports NO FORMULAS. For some reason today it seems fine. Which makes no sense at all, because after doing a reboot yesterday and only opening Excel+file it acted up. Now I'm sitting here wondering what's going on, and when it's going to pop up again.

@This has happened to me twice now.

I'm just putting the answer here for anyone searching for answers in the future.

There will be an error in one of the cells that are in the data range, it can take a while to  find it as it's not always very visible.

Our error was that someone inputting must have knocked some keys and in one of the cells they had accidentally entered '=+AX:VW', it came up as 0 which was why it took me a bit to find it.

Usually I just highlight all the cells in the range and just press delete but in this case I needed the data so it took me a bit to fine it.

Going to the toolbar and clicking on 'Formulas' and the 'Error Checking' function is helpful as well.

@makapuShould anyone be chasing a solution not requiring uninstallation of Excel updates, the following worked for me:

Click File - Info - Check for Issues - Check Compatibility. Then the this error information was displayed:

JonathanCurro_0-1710200699818.png

I clicked Find which took me straight to a bogus formula which was =+D54:CBC351424 in case anyone is interested. I deleted that cell's contents and was immediately able to work in the spreadsheet once more.

Hope this helps anyone searching for a solution as I was this morning.