SOLVED

Excel datatype geography

Copper Contributor

Hi there, 

using dataytype geography for the first time, I'm surprised how well the tool works to create maps. However, for creating a map of all German states, there seems to be a false link behind one of the states. The state Thuringa seems to be linked to a local village in Austria, hence the state always turns out to be grey on my map. Is there any way how the location of Thuringia can be changed in Excel datatypes geography? Thanks a lot in advance!

13 Replies

@Janus030 

The same question and a solution came up a few days ago. See the link below.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/bing-in-excel-maps/m-p/1377996#M61744 

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thanks a lot for your reply. Seems like some others experienced the same issue. I could unfortunately not solve the problem using the hints/ work arounds described. I'll write a message via File> Feedback

best response confirmed by Janus030 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Janus030 

But did you see the file I attached in the other thread? If not, I'm attaching it again here.

Thanks @Riny_van_Eekelen 

I checked your file again andtried to spell Thuringia in the English and German version. Nevertheless Excel does either not accept the location or does locate it somewhere in Austria. 

@Janus030 

Do you mean if you open the  @Riny_van_Eekelen file, no changes, and it doesn't show Thuringia?

@Sergei Baklan 
Unfortunately yes. I tried to copy the list in my own Excel sheet, but Excel could again not located Thuringia. Using the German word Thüringen instead doesn't work either, as an Austrian municipality shows up instead. 

Sorry, I didn't catch - exactly downloaded file doesn't work, or one to which you copy/paste data?

@Sergei Baklan 
Well, I tried both. To open the file from @Riny_van_Eekelen and to copy its content to my own Excel sheet. In both cases, Excel does not recognise Thuringia as one of the German states. Maybe this has something to do with differences between the English and the German version of Excel?

@Janus030 Can you upload the file that you created, through copying data from my file?

@Riny_van_Eekelen 
Sure, attached you'll find the file. At least in my Excel version, Thuringia is always marked grey. 

@Janus030Try without setting the data type as geography. It's not needed and often screws up things.

In the attached file, I inserted a sheet with a mad that does include Thuringia.

@Janus030 

It's recognizable if

a) don't use data types

b) use correct column names

@Riny_van_Eekelen , @Sergei Baklan 

Not using the datatype geography worked. Now there's no grey spot in my map anymore. Thanks a lot for your help! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Janus030 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Janus030 

But did you see the file I attached in the other thread? If not, I'm attaching it again here.

View solution in original post