Excel challenge question

Deleted
Not applicable
I have a very large database that needs to be split up in an interesting way and I can’t figure out how to word the question for google. Here is my best shot as a description.

I have rows with about 40 columns of data points.

I need to take every row that I have and split it into 8 equal parts and move it to 8 new rows.

Thanks in advance for anything!
1 Reply

Let me ask what kind of datas are in the columns; if you have 40 columns and you have to make 8 new columns, it means that you want to merge columns 5 by 5; is that text to be concatenate? Are there numbers to be summed? Are there consecutive numbers like some kind of ID or bank accounts or whatever (so you don't have to sum but you have to see all numbers)...

Starting from that, the method is kinda easy. It's just different, depending on the source.

Numbers to be summed:

in the new column, use the formula =SUM(row1column1;row1column2;row1column3... to 5)

In the next new column continue with the numbers:

=SUM(row1column6 to 10)

Then 11 to 15, 16 to 20, 21 to 25, 26 to 30, 31 to 35 and 36 to 40.

Then copypaste the formulas for the rows.

With the same strategy (splitting the 40 columns in 8 groups of 5), if you have numbers to visualize entirely:

=row1column1&row1column2&row1column3&row1column4&row1column5

Then the same with 6 to 10, 11 to 15, 16 to 20, 21 to 25, 26 to 30, 31 to 35 and 36 to 40.

This last strategy is also usable for plain text.