Excel calculations too slow in tiny file

Copper Contributor

Hi all!

I have recently started using a new laptop and MS license account. Every Excel file I create runs painfully slow calculations, regardless of size and type of formulas within it. If I open the same file in a different computer, the file will still be slow. The same computer will open bigger, more complex files and calculate without issues.

As an example, I have a 200KB file with 10 tabs. Most tabs have hardcoded data and no more than 120 rows and 20 columns. Some have some simple SUM and XLOOKUP functions that look into the same tab. The larger tab has about 450 rows and 35 columns, out of which 30 are hardcoded data. The other columns have plus and minus formulas, one uses IFERROR and DAYS and two columns have the most complex formula in the file: IFNA with IFS embedded with three logical tests and XLOOKUPS into a different tab.

No macros, no external links, no queries, no conditional formatting. 

The files are all saved as .xlsx in my personal desktop. I'm using Excel version 2308 64-bit and my laptop has a 16GB RAM. I've uninstalled and re-installed MS office, reset my laptop, used three different MS office licenses and nothing solves the issues. I've also contacted my laptop support and MS technical support, but none could find anything.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

8 Replies

@99mils 

Excessive amount of ("hidden") objects? Check the selection pane.

Hi @Detlef Lewin, there are no hidden objects in the file. 

if possible share you file,we can test on our side.
Have you test it on online office or android.excel application or other PC?
Hi @peiyezhu, I've only opened the file in my laptop and other laptops. Just to clarify, all excel spreadsheets I create have the same issue. I used the 200KB one as an example to highlight that even tiny files run slow.
all excel spreadsheets I create have the same issue

if all excel files have the same issue,I guess something should be wrong with your system. what is your system? have you tried re-install system?
Yes, I have uninstalled and re-installed MS office a couple of times and have also used different MS licenses to see if that made any difference but it doesn't.

@99mils 

IMHO, several times won't help. Alternative is full (clean) reinstall as here Repair an Office application - Microsoft Support