SOLVED

Conditional Formatting tasks by color

Copper Contributor

I have tasks that are due by a specific date. 

If the date is in the future I'd like the cell to be yellow. 

If the date is in the past I'd like the cell to be red.

If the task is completed on time I'd like the cell to be green.

Windows 10 Pro

Microsoft 365 for business

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Weim1960 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Weim1960 

See the attached version. I added an extra rule to format tasks that have been completed but late.

That works. Excuse my ignorance but where are the formulas I need to copy to make that work on my document?

@Weim1960 

Select the range with conditional formatting.

On the Home tab of the ribbon, click Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules...

Click each of the rules in turn and click Edit to view the formula used.

You'll see that the rules refer to the cells in the first row of the range: C4 and D4 (plus the cell that contains the date).

@Hans Vogelaar 

What you state is correct for Windows with Excel 365. The problem is there is not current mechanism to set OR modify conditional formatting on an iPad, this from Microsoft support. I’m trying too ring their chime to get this feature added to Excel 365 for iPad (iOS). What is odd I’d that I set up conditional formatting on my PC and save the file to the iCloud Drive. When I open that file up on my iPad the existing conditional formatting from the PC still does its thing on my iPod. This tells me that Microsoft has half the problem solved for use on the iPad, they only need to add the UI menus and software to be able to set up, or modify existing, rules . Please listen Microsoft. This is a needed feature for your Excel 365 on the iPad

The limited functionality of Excel on an iPad, as a 365 user, is infuriating. And most of the limitations are YEARS old!! I can’t believe how basic it is :(
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Weim1960 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Weim1960 

See the attached version. I added an extra rule to format tasks that have been completed but late.

View solution in original post