SOLVED

Adding primary axis bar and adding secondary axis label

Copper Contributor

Where did the vertical axis bar go in Excel for Mac 16.31. All it has now are the horizontal grid lines. Is there any way to turn them on? Also, I can't find how to add a secondary axis label. The solutions on the support pages don't help. Thanks!

15 Replies

@Billtort 

Please upload a file with you chart. Am on a Mac myself but don't understand you question. Perhaps when I (or any other Mac user) can have a look at it, we can help.

@Riny_van_EekelenThanks for your rapid response. Here's the most recent figure I'm having the problem with. I've drawn in yellow where the vertical axis bar should go and added in red the Axis label I want to add. There are no options for adding either anywhere in the Add Chart Element drop down menu while the axis is selected.

@Billtort

Thanks. But where is your data? You seem to have everything hardcoded in arrays in your data series. And what would you like to show in the vertical axis (both yellow and red)?

Perhaps I'm not grasping what you are asking for. Sorry.

@Riny_van_EekelenRiny- Here's the figure with the data. I want to be able to generate a black vertical line like graphs are supposed to have where I placed the yellow line (that used to be the default, now that's gone and there seems to be no way to turn the option back on). And I want to be able to enter an secondary axis label on the right side where I entered the text in red. There used to be an option to label the secondary axis, but I can't remember or find where to add that option.

best response confirmed by Billtort (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Billtort 

Okay. Clear now. Was a bit confused.

Click on either axis and choose Format Axis. There you can select the bucket icon and determine what kind of line you want (e.g. solid, black, 0.5pt wide, etc.)

image.png

  

@Riny_van_EekelenRiny- Thank you for your response, however, I want Excel to automatically draw the primary vertical axis bar, not hand drawn by me. It used to do that as the default. 99 % of figures in scientific literature use a solid X and Y axis bar rather than the horizontal bars at various intervals that is now the default in Excel. That style is rarely used in scientific papers. I've attached an image of one such chart that was generated by Excel. Sorry for being a pest!

@Riny_van_EekelenIGNORE MY LAST POST. Your suggestion does works!  THANK YOU! Now, is there any way of making this the default for all my charts? Also, the second part of my question was about adding a Secondary Axis Title. I still can't find how to do this.

@Billtort 

I guess @Sergei Baklan answered that question :)

Thank you, @Sergei Baklan, that's a great help!

@Riny_van_Eekelen , not exactly, I only suggested to use charts templates.

@Billtort , how to add axis titles on Mac is here https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-or-remove-titles-in-a-chart-4cf3c009-1482-4908-922a-997.... I'm on Windows, can't give more details.

@Riny_van_EekelenYes, but not the one about the Secondary Axis Label.

@Sergei Baklan @Riny_van_Eekelen, That's where I say the Support Page doesn't help. I do exactly what their support page says, but Add Element Chart > Axis Titles only allows for Primary Axis Titles (vertical or horizontal, but not Secondary. Seems weird.

@Billtort , sorry, not being on Mac I can't help with the issue.

@Billtort 

But, on my Mac I can format the Primary and the Secondary axis however I want. Lines or no lines, tick marks or not, labels or not. Perhaps I just don't see you problem. Am not a frequent chart user myself, so perhaps I'm not the right person to ask either. Sorry!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Billtort (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Billtort 

Okay. Clear now. Was a bit confused.

Click on either axis and choose Format Axis. There you can select the bucket icon and determine what kind of line you want (e.g. solid, black, 0.5pt wide, etc.)

image.png

  

View solution in original post