Access Denied to Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet (.xls) network File

Copper Contributor

Hi,

A third party Oracle application creates Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet (.xls) with macros in it (but not with xlsm extension) but when a user with Office 365 accesses the file in comes up Access Denied. Contact your Administrator. I have checked the rights of the folder where the files reside on the network and the user has all rights except full control. The Trusted file locations in Excel has the path where the files are located. The trusted documents is set to "Allow documents from Network Locations" is enabled. 

When I copy the file to the desktop it is accessible. If I save the file as an xlsx everyone can open it.

Older versions of Excel can open the file without issues in the same locations.

Can anyone advise how we can resolve this issue?

Thanks for taking the time to read this question.

Alastair MacFarlane

2 Replies
More Information: Thanks for the reply. I will check it out tomorrow (UK Time), but I would add that the VBA code does not compile (debug + compile VBA Project). It is a standard spreadsheet of 100 sheets (eacha different Cost Centre and in each sheet there is an itemised listing of expenditure in this month against a Cost Centre. The spreadsheet is created by Oracle e-Financials and has code in it that does not compile. Does this help in any way? All I could do is upload a couple of redacted images of the spreadsheet but I can only think that it is a compatibility issue between the version of the file, it not being an xlsm and Office 365. This is then counter-intuitive with it being copied to the desktop and being accessible. Could it even be AD corruption of path and nothing at all to do with Office at all? But if the user logs into a pc with an older version of Office they can open the file! I am totally confused. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Alastair

Did you manage to find a solution to this problem. We have it on two computers (out of a 100) with both doc. and .xls files.