msedge_elf.dll missing

Brass Contributor

Hello,

Recently, several of our users (including myself) have started getting the following error pop-up, seemingly at random points during the day:

"The program can't start because msedge_elf.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

The only problem is, it is present in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\<version>

This has only started occurring in the past couple of weeks, mostly on our legacy Windows 7 ESU Year 3 estate, which we are fully in the process of retiring. I am aware that the OSD for Edge on Windows 7 is January 15 2023.

Our Edge estate is patched regularly via WSUS, and is fully the X64 version. The latest version we are running is 101.0.1210.39. We also install Edge WebView2, as this is required by software we use, and this is patched via WSUS, to the same version as regular Edge.

I cannot find any information in the EventLog about what application, service or event is triggering this error, can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Jonathan

22 Replies
Thank you very much! This was the quickest and easiest solution to this problem. It worked! (:
for me it says i dont have permission to acces this item even though this is the only account on my pc

@gray_say 

You need to use an administrator account