Login with AzureAD Account sync instantly goes in "Error" state

Brass Contributor

Hi

Please see this video about my problem: https://youtu.be/atxOfCJBKRE

To recap in words, When I sign-in with my personal AzureAD account to Edge Dev and Canary (Newest builds 78.0.262.0/78.0.267.0) it instantly goes into Error state.

I have tried on 3 different PC's. 2 of them newly installed Win10 1903 setup and logged in directly with the AzureAD credentials. 

So it's not a PC problem, cause as the video shows I have two other profiles, which both are setup with AzureAD account sync.

EDIT: It hasn't worked in previous builds either.

88 Replies

@ycore290 One of our Senior Program Managers saw this feedback and wanted to let everyone know that:

"We are looking into ways to improve the pain points brought up here, specifically around how to allow clients to better recover from service issues and to provide a policy to force sync. We’re taking both of these areas seriously and do not have any schedule to announce right now."

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@akhator 

Would appreciate some help if possible. Issue with my Office 365 Business account with AAD sync. All pre-requisites have been met, from a licensing perspective this works. Just not on my account. I have the error below in my edge://sync-internals

Error: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:42, cryptographer error was encountered:

Any fix for this yet? Have been left to use a personal account at work for some time. Not so good from a data security point of view. 

@rckag Our team reviewed your message and wanted me to pass along this recommendation:

"For this error, please sign out and sign back in again on the impacted machine. If the error persists, we request that you kindly file a customer support request." 

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@akhator Hi there, I just found this thread, I too belong in bucket 2, sync fails for my work setup between Edge using my AAD account and I get that GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes error.

Has a process been established to clear this? Other users in my organization can sync fine, so indeed something with just my account, I think.

@Mathias Rysse Hey there, i had this issue fixed last week for my account! Basically you need to contact the Microsoft Azure support team. This is a separate support area within the Microsoft Azure admin panel. See the screenshot i have attached, it should give you (or your Azure administrator) a good idea where to find this. I can confirm it was a data corruption issue in my case, and they had to wipe the data from my profile. From what i understand, the original data corrupting issue was resolved, but if your data is corrupt within your profile, it needs to be wiped manually. 

rckag_0-1593386529502.png

@rckag A corruption issue like that is what I suspected based on what I read. I was not sure if there was some self-help way to correct. Thanks so much for your response. very helpful! I will reach out to support today. - M.

I've been having a similar issue and I documented it here. In short, none of the users in one of my tenants are able to sync via Edge. I'm seeing the following errors:

From edge://sync-internals:

Last Token ErrorEDGE_AUTH_ERROR: 3, 15, caa2000b

and several of these:

Error: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:42, cryptographer error was encountered:

From edge://signin-internals:

Error: Primary Error: kTokenRequestFailed, Secondary Error: kTokenFetchProviderError, Platform error: -895352821, hex:caa2000b, Error string: Error code: 0xcaa2000b, error message:AADSTS500014: The service principal for resource 'https://aadrm.com' is disabled. This indicate that a subscription within the tenant has lapsed, or that the administrator for this tenant has disabled the application, preventing tokens from being issued for it. Trace ID: <redacted> Correlation ID: <redacted> Timestamp: 2020-09-22 04:12:47Z

I've tried every suggestion including filing a support ticket through Azure AD. Nothing has worked yet and it's becoming a large source of frustration.

@bandtank I'm sorry you've ben having such difficulties. I'm from the Edge team and would like to help.  Can you e-mail me at collw (at) microsoftdotcom? We'll go from there. Thanks, Colleen

Welp,

Happy Holidays everyone. I've run into this same issue now almost a full year later. My user was syncing just fine (AD On-prem synced into Azure) then I needed to switch to a new laptop and sync keeps failing. Saying that it couldn't connect to the sync server.

If I sign out of edge and sign back in then it clears the sync-internals but fails still, did anyone end up finding a solution to this?