Beach ball every few minutes on macOS Monterey

Copper Contributor

I installed macOS Monterey Version 12.0 Beta on July 24, 2021.

Ever since, I get the beach ball almost every 5 minutes and it lasts 5-10 seconds. It happens all the time but is more likely to happen when I switch tabs, click in a text box, open a new tab etc. The browser is pretty much unusable.

The rest of the machine is quite responsive. I'm able to switch to other applications and use them fine. It is just the Edge browser that is freezing.

Did anyone else experience this? Any work arounds?
*(disabling extensions did not help)
* restarting the browser or restarting the mac resolves the issue for about 15 minutes and then the beach ball starts showing up again.

Version Information:
Microsoft Edge92.0.902.62 (Official build) Beta (x86_64)
Revisione0b431c35804391fdedd209e4e727584e80a3fd0
Operating systemmacOS Version 12.0
JavaScriptV8 9.2.230.20
User agentMozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/92.0.4515.107 Safari/537.36 Edg/92.0.902.62
Command-line/Applications/Microsoft Edge Beta.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Edge Beta --flag-switches-begin --enable-quic --enable-features=AutofillShowTypePredictions,BackForwardCache,OmniboxTabSwitchSuggestions,ParallelDownloading,TabHoverCardImages,ms0x90,msEdgeTabGroups,msEdgeTabGroupsAutoCreate,msTabGroupsCollapseFreezing,msThemesSelection,msVerticalTabsHideTitlebar --disable-features=TabHoverCards --flag-switches-end
Executable path/Applications/Microsoft Edge Beta.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Edge Beta

7 Replies
Getting this all the time as well...Official build 92.0.902.67...non enterprise mb pro.

@adamhodge @smaheshbabu Hello!  I can see the team recently released a fix for tab hangs on Mac.  Would you be able to test on a newer build?  Like MS Edge Dev Channel, Download Microsoft Edge Insider Channels.  

If you are still encountering an issue after trying a newer version, please submit diagnostic data through our in-browser feedback tool.   It's under "..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Upgrading to Version 93.0.961.11 (Official build) Beta (x86_64) reduced the occurrence of beachball but did not eliminate it.
While I used to get beachball every five minutes before, now I get it every 3-4 hours at which point I just need to restart the browser so I can keep using it for another 3-4 hours.
Couple changes...new macos version - 21A5304g. Also I turned off my extensions...no beach ball today.
92.0.902.67. The only extension I have is NewsGuard.

@adamhodge 

Do you or others on this thread use McAfee LiveSafe?  I and many others had the beachballing problem when Big Sur came out; the problem was McAfee LiveSafe's firewall - turning it off and switching to the resident macOS firewall got rid of the issue.  McAfee eventually acknowledged it was their problem, but it took several months before they rolled out a fix.  I'm now on Monterey 12.01; a. couple of days ago I started getting beachballing; I tried the obvious "restart" and got a message that McAfee had interrupted the restart process and needed to be quit first (never happened before).  On restart I still had beachballing with McAfee running, so I disabled the firewall and everything works fine.  I contacted McAfee support who told me that they were unaware of any issues, and that my current LiveSafe version is the latest version (4.11.2.0); they'll escalate it.

no McAfee and no problems currently. @TonyG1155 

@adamhodge 

Think I've fixed this.  When I switched over to the Mac firewall it flagged a SyncMate synchronisation app connection (SyncMateService) as unauthorised.  Since authorising the connection the beachballing has disappeared (and hasn't reappeared even though I've now flipped back to McAfee).  Hopefully problem solved...