Team name and roles for your Microsoft 365 functional support crew

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm working on some ideas for a proposal to form a new IT support team that will focus on functional support for Microsoft 365 tools. I envision this group will work like internal consultants to partner with business teams to understand their processes, identify opportunities for improvement, provide education, tool recommendations, and develop solutions. This team will also be responsible for driving adoption for the tools and empowering our end users through education on how to get the most out of these tools. The main toolset would consist of Microsoft Teams, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, Power Apps, Power Automate, Forms, Planner, Whiteboard, Stream, and To-Do.

I have a start on the scope and responsibilities for this group, and I was hoping to get some input from the community on team names and also role names that you may be using in your organization for this kind of team. I have a few ideas, but figured there's probably a lot of great ideas in the community, so I'd love to hear some of yours!

Thank you!

5 Replies
Is it also the purpose that they answer people's questions and coach them on what they can't do/don't know? They could also maybe be responsible for communities (monitoring company channels on Teams for instance). For the name, I've recently heard about Digital Sherpas, and I like it but maybe you would like something more "corporate" ;)

@JuMeu I like your Digital Sherpas idea for the community group or champions network. I anticipate we'll be focused on a lot of end user education and empowerment, so likely we'll have some group of experts throughout the organization that we'll bring together. I had a few ideas for the official team name that would be in our IT org hierarchy: Collaboration and Content Services, Digital Workplace Consulting, Application Support. I'm not sure if those quite hit the mark, and am definitely interested in hearing what other orgs call their teams that specialize in these areas.

@GullettBrian - We are engaging on a similar program, and have settled on 'Digital Engagement Officer' for the coordinator and inspiration lead, and 'Digital Champion' for the local team member that will help drive adoption.  It fits the culture of our organisation not to be too 'sexy' with the job titles. 

I like it! Those names seem like a good way to promote empowerment and partnership.
Our IT & Operations department has a team like this; members include a business solutions architect, business application analyst, info systems assistant, and continuous improvement manager.