SOLVED

Windows 10 Kiosk with Edge Chromium

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

We are testing Windows 10 Kiosk Mode with the new Edge Chromium Browser as the app to launch in full screen mode.  Edge Chromium is installed and working, however in the Kiosk Attended Setup, the Edge App is noted with the old Edge logo.

We are able to select Edge and reboot.  Upon reboot, the machine auto-logs in and tries to start Edge Chromium (guessing), however we never move beyond a blank blue screen.  

Any idea if this is something that should be working?  Or if not, when we might expect it to work?

65 Replies

Hello,

I need to deploy single-app kiosk mode with Chromium Edge.

Devices are currently using Windows Education 1903, will Edge 87 work in single-app kiosk mode on latest stable Windows version 20H2 or it is necessary to update to bleeding-edge Windows version?

I really don't want to deploy bleeding-edge dev channel and beta/insider preview channels are still on 20H2.

Thank you.

@ShipUPride thank you for trying out kiosk mode. 

Have you checked the documentation we have for Configuring Microsoft Edge kiosk mode?

From what you are describing "Edge is shown with the old logo in the attended set up" (kiosk mode assigned access?) tells me that is actually old Edge and:

1. Either you are not running the Windows Insiders Preview mentioned in the documentation. To make it work check the step-by-step instructions here

2. You are running Edge Canary that was installed at a system level. To make it work install Edge Dev, Beta 87. 

Assigned access kiosk mode has been enabled at this moment on the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview, version 20215 or higher. We are working on getting this available to the previous Windows 10 versions, but targeting to be available early next year.

You can try Microsoft Edge kiosk mode in a non assigned on any supported Windows 10 machine via command lines starting with version 87: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-configure-kiosk-mode#use-kiosk-mode-featu...

Let me know if that helps or not. More than happy to assist further.

@sstk8 thank you for the message and follow up. 

Are you trying to use assigned access or non assigned access scenario? 

Windows 10 1903 Edu will be going out of service on December 8, 2020. What are the plans for moving to a newer version? 

Short answer:

* single-app assigned access is not available on Windows 10 1903 (and won't be available by 1903 end of life)

* single-app non assigned access scenario is ready with Windows 1903 and Microsoft Edge 87

Longer answer: For the assigned access scenario we have a preview with the Windows Insiders version and we are looking to down-port the changes to previous versions of Windows 10 early 2021, on the version that will be in support. We are targeting Windows 10 1909 and up. 

I'm trying to use assigned access (user can use only browser and can't escape with ALT+F4).
It is no problem to update up to 20H2, but as you said, necessary changes are not in any stable version yet, so I need to wait. Please notify us when changes will be down-ported.
Also I forgot to mention our devices use Windows 10 in S mode, but that shouldn't be problem, right?

We are also looking into this maybe being a solution for our kiosk.

Currently we are using a Kiosk Manager application partnered with SCCM to manage/deploy our two kiosks. (HR and Training) 

Some parameters that we want to establish/build off of:

- Machine Auto Sign on (Domain Kiosk Account)

- Auto launch Edge Browser "InPrivate" to a "Landing Page" (page provides web link for users to access, kiosk dependent) 

- Currently app uses a shell to only allow selected browser to open

- Close/Relaunch browser on idle (kiosk dependent)

- Limits browser functions. (Remove Favorites, access to settings, etc...) 

- Whitelist beyond domain, down to certain paths. 

Example: we can only WL "domain.com", Goal is to WL "domain.com/Training, domain.com/HR, etc..." depending on kiosk

- Limit users from logging out of kiosk account via CTRL+ATL+DEL, while still allowing local techs access into machine for maintenance. 

- Allow in browser view/print of PDFs (Edge C seems to have an issue handling PDFs currently)

If I have seen Edge Kiosk setting when we started implementing InTune, so I am eager to see if Edge Chromium Kiosk mode will fit our needs.   

@ShipUPride thank you for the message. 

Recommend checking this documentation, as I believe step 1 will solve the problem: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-configure-kiosk-mode#configure-using-wind... 

Currently, the assigned access single app kiosk mode configuration is available for testing with the Windows Insiders Preview version 20215 or higher

We will have the assigned access work ported to down-level Windows version 1909 and higher early 2021: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-configure-kiosk-mode#in-early-2021

I'd like to give my 2 cents.

We have several PC's in KIOSK mode that are no longer working because of both the 20h2 update and the latest Edge update.   It gives me a blue screen indicating that the application (New edge) is not supported under Kiosk mode.   

I have had to uninstall 20h2 and the newer version of Edge to get these to work again.   Unfortunately, the Payroll website that we have these setup for, is telling me that their site will no longer support Legacy Edge starting March 11th, 2021.  

So I do hope you come up with a fix so I can run the latest Windows 10 feature, with the latest Edge version in KIOSK mode.    Seems silly that this wasn't tested ahead of time.

@mikepickardtubeproc Thank you for the email and feedback. 

I have a few questions: 

In what Windows configuration are you running kiosk mode? (assigned access or non-assigned access?)

Did you configure the newer version of Edge before moving to Windows 20H2? 

Windows 20H2 supports the new Microsoft Edge kiosk mode configuration. 

From the details of the problem you shared, I believe you are using assigned access kiosk mode. if that is the case then we will be releasing soon a Windows Update to enable assigned access to configure Microsoft Edge Chromium (Win32 app). 

You can test these changes right now with a Windows Insider Preview: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-configure-kiosk-mode#configure-using-wind...

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

@ShipUPride, it seems that we are getting there.

On February 5th there was a dedicated announcement in the message center (Windows message center | Microsoft Docs), with a couple of related posts:

Expected timeline (according to Microsoft Edge release schedule | Microsoft Docs and Plan your kiosk mode transition | Microsoft Docs)

• February 2021, 3rd week: assigned access support in Windows 1909 and higher available manually checking for updates.
  • March 2021, 1st week: most of the Edge Legacy kiosk features available in Edge Chromium (version 89).
  •  March 2021, 2nd week: assigned access support in Windows 1909 and higher available for everyone (through Patch Tuesday). 
  • May 2021, 4th week: almost all of the Edge Legacy kiosk features available in Edge Chromium (version 91).

@Adrian_Guta 

Thank you for the explanation.  I'm a little confused on Assigned vs. Non-Assigned comment.    I don't see an option to setup a KIOSK using "Non-Assigned" access.  Even a Google search doesn't show anything. 

I did a fresh install, so I have to think the H

As of now, I will just wait for the update so that I can be fully protected.  

@mikepickardtubeproc thank you for the email. 

Our recommended approach is using assigned access: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-configure-kiosk-mode#configure-using-wind...

The assigned access changes will be available with the Windows update 2c February release, that was previously shared.

I am not sure if there is more information to share on this sentence: "I did a fresh install, so I have to think the H..."

Non-assigned access, refers to other ways to locking down the OS, like shell launcher or custom shells. For e.g. shell launcher: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-shelllauncher

February "C" preview release is available for 1909, so I gave it a try. Assigned access works on stable Edge Chromium 88 very well. User can use address bar and multiple tabs, but cannot access settings and addons.  User can only access Downloads folder and this folder gets cleaned after session. This is enough for me.

@sstk8 that's lovely to hear - thanks for sharing your current status! :)
@mikepickardtubeproc, hope you had a chance to evaluate our new kiosk offering based on the articles shared by Adrian and Nicolò. Let us know in case you still have questions!
@ChrBrown hope you had a chance to evaluate our new kiosk offering based on the articles shared by Adrian and Nicolò. Let us know in case you still have questions!

@Raj_GS 

I've been trying to run KIOSK through Intune, with W10 20H2, but Edge will not run. It says the application cannot be started.

This is a newly installed computer, and I'm running a "Single app" profile.

Nothing fancy..

I've read about tons of ppl having the same issue with 20H2.

What can I do about it?

Help appreciated configuring edge chromium as single app kiosk mode using PowerShell command line other than Manual configuration
Solution!
Single App = You have to change from Application type: "Add Microsoft Edge Legacy browser" to "Add Microsoft Edge browser". - This is a new feature, so be aware of this change.

Multiapp = Still only support för Edge Legacy to add through Intune interface. Instead you need to "Add Win32 app".
AUMID/PATH = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe
DesktopApplicationId/AUMID for the Win32 app = MSEdge

And you need your KIOSK to be updated to 20H2 for this solution it seems :)
I am trying to create a single app kiosk mode using PowerShell cmd Set-AssignedAccess -AUMID MSEdge this command not accepting it.

@jsundelius 

Glad you were able to figure out the cause! :) Yep, the new Edge has a separate entry and the "old" Edge is now shown as the "Edge Legacy" entry in InTune and this change was recently rolled out in InTune.

Multi-app has supported the new Edge ever since new Edge was released - as multi-app supported Win32 apps too.