Tab preview in taskbar

Iron Contributor

Am I the only one who misses the overview of all my open Edge-tabs in the taskbar or do I have a special setting enabled which allows me to see only the current tab if I mouse-over the Edge icon in my taskbar? In IE or old Edge if I point my mouse to the icon in the taskbar I get an overview of all my open tabs and by clicking on one, I get directly to this tab instead the last accessed one.

I there anyone else who misses this feature or anyone, who can tell me how to enable it in the new Edge?

Cheers, Chris

Edit: This feature was only available in IE, not in Edge. Edge only had the tab preview by mouseover on tabs in Edge, IE only had the preview by mouseover on the IE icon on the TASKBAR. The new Edge now should have both. "The best of two worlds" :)

43 Replies
My task bar apps previews used to show all open windows until recently. Not sure what caused it to only show last used tab or window. Could it have been most recent Windows 10 Pro update ?? Guess I should try reversing that update ?? Could reversing mess up other actual improvements for my system ?? It would be very useful to be able to pcik just the part or parts of the update to reverse.
shift no work in my Win10 Pro. Still shows just 1 of # of open windows with each app in taskbar. :( That was useful. I miss it. Seems recent update removed that to reduce system performance reductions. Mine did get bit laggy if i had lot of browser windows, document windows, MS 365 Outlook open doing email chk every 15 mins, task manager so i keep eye on when pc cpu busy, when it is i look on screen to see what hogging cpu and mem and disk. Sometimes it's obvious and short lived like Avast doing checks or Outlook chking email, or other not open but checking for updates maybe. Easy to end task stuff i don't want or need running then... maybe it's for the better since pc hasn't got laggy much if at all since this feature was updated out. Not a big deal I guess. Can adjust to it. IT STILL WORKS WITH OTHER APPS LIKE WORDPAD OR MS 365 WORD. I just tested that, once I open enough doc files that fills task bar, taskbar is set to combine windows in same app tab, they join, peek view shows all 5 open. ;) SO IT'S JUST BROWSER TASK BAR TABS STOPPED FROM SHOWING ,,MU;TI OPEN BROWSER WINDOWS PEEK. JUST THE ONE LAST OPENED. OH WELL, INSTEAD OF PEEK JUST CLIK IT AND THEN THE TAB AT TOP YOU WANT.
I use Windows 10 Pro, usually just Chrome browser because I like being able to turn off auto-discard for open browser windows. I no lonegr see multi browser windows peek preview just the last one looked at before minimizing all, so I guess it was a Chromium update that ended the multi preview peek for browsers. It still works for other apps like word file apps when task bar gets full. NOTWWORTHY, MY PC DOEAN'T LAG AS MUCH WHEN I HAVE MULTIPLE BROWSER WINDOWS. MAYBE THIS IS WHY. I GUESS NO BIGGY. JUST LFT CLK BAR TAB MOVE MOUSE UP TO BRWOSER WINDOW WANTED.

Hoooooly moooly. My laptop rebooted last night after installing updates and my taskbar now shows a preview for every Edge tab I have open! Windows 11 22H2 updated through Feb 2023 and Edge version 110.0.1587.41.

I have not yet verified that my desktop is showing the same behavior. It has a reboot pending for some updates.