SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies

@ightNOWboy 

Spoiler

@ightNOWboy wrote:
maybe i didn't make it clear how its related; if more than sixty percent of people are using google services, wouldn't it make sense to accommodate them to get more marketshare? i would use it. more market share equals better browser and vice vs.
"Gmail is nothing special, there are Icloud emails, Yahoo emails etc that are equally popular." -fanboy perspective. not even close. businesses will go where they get what they want. many businesses use Gsuit with their domain. look at browser market share. that's hard to deny. its great that windows goes chromium, now my websites take less work. on the other hand, i definitely want to use it without google's services as well

bigger market share doesn't mean better browser. you'd be surprised to know what unimaginable factors play a part in having market share. chrome has most market share at the moment but it's not the best browser. Not even the best browser overall.

Edge would be the best browser overall (features, speed, security). FireFox would be the best browser too even if it's a bit slower than Edge.

TOR browser would be the best browser in terms of security which is based on Firefox.

That's not a fanboy perspective. icloud and Yahoo are popular.

many more businesses use Office 365, Microsoft 365, Azure and they include more than 100+ services.

Yup, I have a few people that I recommended to siwtch to chomre and they are using google services. They dont' even sign into the browser.
Just use the google serach engine and google services and you are in sync. Don't worry about favorites, just install a 3rdparty favorites
There is no reason to use Chrome anymore.
I understand but a lot of schools still use Chromebooks and require you to be in the google ecosystem. What do you have to say about that?
Windows 10X devices will change that, a lot of schools use it, a lot more schools don't.
Yeah I guess but even the schools that have surface's or windows 10 will still have a policy to have chorme since it is more easy for everyone to be in the same ecosystem and google classroom.

All of the services is available on Microsoft too.
it's not really related to this topic anymore, specially when it already is decided about.
if you want use personal message.
Yes, that is why I woudl want to see a option to turn on a google services so that they can use their google sign in with sync with the chormebooks and such.I upvote that Google services that as a option that downloads the 3rdparty stuff into the browser if enabled like how you do it with the cast
Alright
How do I edit teh permsissons?
Yeah most of the schools in my area all use google stuff so it is kinda hard and chrome is mainly the default for everyone.

I do love Microsoft and use it everyday but some thing like google docs are just better
Dude, i really don't care, it's not even related to the topic.
Alright, I will stiop now
I have already synched my microsoft and Google accounts between my desktop computer and my mobile phone. Now I cannot sign in to the desktop at all. My password doesn't work and I don't have a PIN. How can I sign in to the desktop? Thank you!

@hheardlucas 

did you add your Google account to Windows? if so then use Google account password or local password, depending on whatever you chose, for sign in.

@tomscharbach ...Not me though. I still prefer Chrome as I have to do lots of work with Google Sheets.

I used Microsoft Edge with the G-Suite and everything works!! Even some of my classmates/teachers used it as well!! I can't see why you need chrome.
Yes...I tried all passwords and nothing is accepted. I tried to reset the password but I don't have a disk for the wizard.
Is there another way to get into my desktop? Thank you for helping me
...much appreciated!
You said you synced your Microsoft account with your Google account. You reset your Microsoft account password on another device and try again? If you have made a system restore point if you to the advanced restart options by turning off your computer, pressing the F2 button and waiting for the blue screen to appear. Then follow the prompts to find the system restore.