SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies
What about a browser in which you can sign into your Microsoft, Minecraft, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Mozzarella, Samsung, iCloud, etc... account. Talk about privacy.
I already gave a suggestion. Y'all pretty much said no. And yet, you keep suggesting basically what I already said. Make up your mind.
I think this thread is getting out of control and should be locked. If you have got any problem with what I said, <EDIT> please</EDIT> PM me.
My 2 cents.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

Okay, that is a fair argument. But couldn't you download Chrome at home for those certain cases? That is a reasonable argument, and you make a good point. But Chrome is built entirely around compatibility with a Google account so passwords, favorites, and history are saved. You may just need a different browser for work. I fully understand what you are saying, it that case Edge would need the option to sign in with a Google account.

In that situation, Edge would need to have that ability, but think about what would happen if they did put in that ability. You have an honest legitimate reason, but when that option is added, the number of people who use a Microsoft account in Edge would decrease. Most people have a google account for YouTube, Gmail, etc. So people would just take the easy way and use their Google account instead of creating a Microsoft account. I'm not saying that not that many people have a Microsoft account because many people do, for Office, their Windows computer, Xbox, and Edge. But it could become a majority of Google account users than Microsoft account users in Edge. There's just a lot that goes into it before such a big feature like that is added. When you mentioned Microsoft Mail and the option to use any email address, I thought that maybe they should just put it in Edge, but Edge is really Microsoft's only browser, and giving people the option to use a Google account compromises too much. Edge was initially built for Windows computers and Windows users, and was all for the best possible browsing experience for Windows users, and for use with a Microsoft account. Edge was a Windows exclusive that offered the safest browsing, handy features that no other browsers offered (web inking, set tabs aside, reading list), and more with a Microsoft account. Edge could become just another Chrome. Then that would also take away the only really good feature about Chrome. The only thing that makes Chrome special is its clean Google account optimization. Edge is now more feature rich, and has better an more transparent settings than Chrome. The extensions and compatibility give Chrome no superiority over Edge anymore because they both run on Chromium. (Edge has always been a better, more feature rich browser anyway). 

Thanks for all your enthusiastic responses. We'd love to keep this discussion going, but let's keep it specifically to responses around this feature ask. Conversations around which browser or company is better are off-topic, and finding another community member is best done through other channels. 

You're welcome! How do you lock this thread?

@Kam I wish I knew.

@Kam We (the Tech Community moderation team) have chosen not to lock the thread down as we feel it's a valuable feature request and discussion. However if the conversation continues to veer off-topic, we do have the ability to close it for new replies. 

@Eric Starker 

Ok. "Go with the flow" as my 3rd-grade teacher said.

For clarity, I am a total Microsoft Fan and I spend much of my time installing and setting up Edge, OneDrive, Outlook on Skype for older clients on their iPhones, iPads, and Androids linking them seamlessly with Microsoft Launcher where possible, to provide a seamless experience across different platforms, and even disabling Chrome usually, but it has to be said that I do like some of Google's products and services. Their calendar for example can be made public where as Microsoft restricts this capability to Office subscriptions (or it did when I was setting things up initially), YouTube is amazing - Chromecast is much simpler than Windows Display, and as Cortana was only available in one Speaker I make use of Google Home built into an LG Speaker which I can also stream music to from my Amazon account - but what Microsoft now offers most is CHOICE about services you can link, and privacy. To coin a UK phrase being used nationally at the moment we must always 'Be Alert' to how companies use our data - and Google is, in my opinion and others, basically an advertising company after all. Most of my clients use Bing - and don't notice anything lacking if they used Google search before; I am careful to offer them a choice.
True - I already sign into specific Google services on Edge separately, but for some users the option might be nice. Microsoft have already show how flexible Edge can be with security choices easily turned on or off.

@Graham-STMC 

I think that Google has a few things on Bing. Especially quick actions (ex. A search for "What's my IP gives you your external IP in an answer box.) But they are mostly the same beyond that.

Yeah! I am tired of all the Google branding, and very happy about how MS Edge is slowly growing away.
strangely enough you have so much problem with Google's data mining yet you didnt say anything about the stuff thats built into microsoft windows 10.
I also hope that those that complaint about this.. Microsoft has been doing it for years and years in their own internet explorer. only when they changed to chromium when they decided they are removing those from chromium. BUT Microsoft WINDOWS 10 has built in data mining and so of course they don't need to ADD it into a browser when their whole operating system is collecting data.
SO... you are okay with microsoft collecting your data just because US defense is also using something that collects their data.. I'm pretty sure a lot of US defense computer uses chrome as their browser. Also US defense uses a different version of windows 10 like most of europe. THEY also use an EU version of windows 10 which doesn't allow microsoft to collect data. If you check on EU's law. Even China's government has a different version of Windows 10. Don't just justify that it is okay for one company to collect data when another computer you are using software wise is doing to same and you are okay with it. When it comes to data collecting. They are probably using it for the same purpose. How would you feel when you log onto a computer when you first purchased it to have a banner that says. WELCOME TO WINDOWS 10, We are collecting data as you start using our operating system even tho you PAID for it. We still going to collect your data to sell to others. At least google/chrome didn't make you pay to collect your data.
Possible Solution:
Download the EU version, but set all of the localization to the US.
All of the features of Windows 10, except for the data mining.

@Wyatt C Jackson I think @HotCakeX is a she but I'm not sure. If a person wants to take a break, let them take a break, although we are all at a loss because of it. IDK maybe now there's a space for a new leader to step up.

Also, just a reminder that Microsoft is not planning to add support for Google accounts no matter how much you plead and beg that they do or don't. "Insert Edgy joke about current politics that will get me banned" etc. It's time for this discussion to end.

First off, sign in with a google account is a dead subject it is not going to happen.

Secondly; Data that is gathered by Microsoft is used to improve their services and software and nothing more.

ALL data Google collects from its users from ANY of their services/software or what have you, is SOLD to the highest bidder.

The end.
Dennis5mile
May I request for the thread to be locked again?

@Wyatt C Jackson We lock threads when our moderation team feels it is important to do so, usually when a thread is violating our Code of Conduct. Currently this thread does not meet that criteria. 

This feature will be useful until we get Edge for Linux (both x86-64 and arm (Raspberry Pi 3 and 4)). Right now, the only reason I use Chrome is because Edge isn't available for Linux.