Please bring "Set Tabs Aside" to New Edge

Steel Contributor

As a student, I used the Set Tabs Aside feature all the time. It's one of the reasons I used Edge over Chrome in a Google-heavy school. That habit of setting tabs aside has followed me after school, and it has proven useful time and again. 

So please bring this feature over. Annotation 2019-04-08 100411.jpgThis feature has helped define Edge. 

EDIT: 
It would also be super amazing to bring Set Tabs Aside to the cloud.

99 Replies

@ej_6612 

I Agree give it back or else im going to a different browser!

@ej_6612 

Yes, I also often use this feature and it's an iconic feature in EDGE where chrome does not have it. Please bring back the "Set aside tab" button ASAP

@ej_6612 Until Microsoft decides to bring this feature back, use this extension. https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/tabs-aside/kmnblllmalkiapkfknnlpobmjjdnlhnd It won't bring back your old sessions but it will let you store new ones

Very much agree!  Now with new edge lack of the best features from old edge, I'm using chrome browser more as the main reason I liked old edge is the 'set tabs aside' shortcut in the far upper-left corner makes it very quick and easy to save a collection and bring them back. 

The new and appears to be the only way is either right clicking the tab or using the 'collections' button, which adds additional steps which gets tiresome when trying to get to and back quickly from task to task. @ej_6612 

Everyone, please continue to make noise so we can get this feature back... I forgot even about the history that also gets saved and set aside.... Someone else made an add-on for the new chromium Edge browser. However it doesn't have the history feature sadly. Here is a link for it:

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/tabs-aside/kmnblllmalkiapkfknnlpobmjjdnlhnd?hl=en-...

@xunderworldx I've also had iffy reliability syncing collections between builds and devices.

@ej_6612 Hey all!  So I found at least a work around!  Go to the Edge Addons store and search for "Tabs Aside"  A developer has built the same functionality into an addon to replicate the functionality.  I am using it and I honestly feel like its as good if not better than the original feature.

Here it is Tabs Aside Addon

Hope this helps!

Ah you beat me to it lol

@ej_6612 Ah yeah! I miss this feature. I used this feature as a temporary work place to set tab aside for some time while browsing other stuff and quickly switching to the original tab when i need.

I think it will be clever for them introducing this feature as "Temporary Workplace" or like this in edge chromium with all new branding and enhanced feature.

@ej_6612 2021, still hoping they bring it back. Updated to the new windows and got the edge uopdate I didn't want, and now I can't uninstall it. I see they've included some suggestions from here in their collections feature. I stillprefer the set aside feature, the ease of setting aside and reopening the tabs again was just amazing. Saving tabs in collections is a tedious process

@xunderworldx 

Spoiler

@xunderworldx wrote:

Everyone, please continue to make noise so we can get this feature back... I forgot even about the history that also gets saved and set aside.... Someone else made an add-on for the new chromium Edge browser. However it doesn't have the history feature sadly. Here is a link for it:

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/tabs-aside/kmnblllmalkiapkfknnlpobmjjdnlhnd?hl=en-...

if it doesn't have history feature then no need for that extension, the alternative for set tabs aside is already on Edge, so just send feedback about keeping tabs' back/forward history when adding them to a collection using this method.

fdsfsd.png

@HotCakeX I tried this extension just now and tried many different ways to check whether the history feature is there or not. This feature is present there. 

Vatsal_0-1613977125906.png

But, in comparison to Edge legacy, it uses a new tab to show which tabs were set aside. So, I see it as a disadvantage here.  

Vatsal_2-1613977152019.png

What's your thought here @HotCakeX ?

@Vatsal 

I think extensions are very good, people can choose to use any extension they want, there are lots of possibilities for all tastes, I'm glad you find that extension useful :)

@ej_6612 You can set tabs asside by right-clicking on any opened tab you have and then selecting 'Add all tabs to a new Collection'. This is doing exactly the same but now you have them on the collection section.

No Collections as it is today, is not the same thing as Set Tabs Aside. Different workflows, different purposes. There are tons of comments here and in other threads detailing the scenarios that are broken by not having Set Tabs Aside feature. This is a major gap for me that I'm having to figure out how to work around now that Edge Legacy is being forcibly removed.
Yeah, I agree with you. Collections and set tabs aside are totally different.
it was best futures on Edge browser.

maybe it will be help u guys. before it will be back

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/tabs-aside/kmnblllmalkiapkfknnlpobmjjdnlhnd
i have been using M edge for some time now and very satisfide with it
i agree it seems a good thing to do