Is Build 118 (Canary build) broken? The browser will close 1-2 seconds after I open it.

Copper Contributor

I am using Edge Canary on Windows 11. The build for the browser is 118.0.2059.0. Unfortunately, the browser will automatically close itself 1-2 seconds after it's been opened. I can not even get to settings to try to clear anything. Is it possibly related to the new Edge for Business "functions" that were added? I was able to get Edge to open by renaming the Default folder under my appdata\local\microsoft\edge sxs\user data folder. This allowed Edge to work normally, until I logged back into my work profile and the stored information for that account was loaded into the profile once again. Then it immediately started crashing again.

I suppose it could be related to one of the extensions, but this just started today. So something is really wrong there.

25 Replies

@RORW_WORK 

You're not alone - I'm seeing the same crash immediately after launch in both build 2059 and build 2060. 

I was able to keep the browser running by launching with a 'not-signed-in' profile, so being signed in may be the trigger. Canary was crashing with both personal and work accounts. While this browser was running, I was able to open edge://crashes and submit feedback with the latest one.

Here is the same.
I tried to record the crash directly from Edge but of course it crashed and the record disappeared.
Tried to reinstall (actually I'm on 118.0.2060.0) but nothing changes.
The OS is a Win 11 Pro IP Canary Channel Build 25936, but the problem started yesterday 8/25 with the previous build.
Didn't change anything on its configuration neither added new add-ons.
Didn't know of any Edge for Business function (I'll try to get info on it) but I had to temporarily switch to Edge Dev.
Any info or suggestion are obviously welcome.
I am also experiencing the exact same problem. Only the websites that were already in the browser load. Opening a new tab results in crashing. Also, external links also don't work.
Build 118 (Canary) is broken for me on Mac OS and Win 11 -- crashes immediately.
118 is unusable in all practicality. Even if it stays open rather than closing seconds later, it's gone the moment I type a URL, click on a quick link, or click on a URL.
I can now confirm that this issue has to be related to profiles and the "Edge Business" stuff they added. I am now seeing this issue on my Windows 11 and Mac computers. If I rename the "User Data" folder and let it create a new one, it works fine. The moment I try to sign into one of my accounts, it crashes. Something got seriously messed up in 118....
Getting same, well almost the same.. Edge will no longer open at all now. I can right click it and choose New InPrivate Window, but that only stays open for a few seconds at best....

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile I have the same issue on my Surface Pro 7 now. Opens and closes within a second. 

@RORW_WORK @Lestlin_Robins 
I'm writing today from another Win11 Pro Canary Channel and from Edge Canary 118.0.2060.0.
In this machine, that's an AMD Ryzen 9 5900 AIO + Radeon, Edge Canary doesn't crash.
The other one that crashes is an ASUS Vivobook Intel i7 sixth generation. More and less, they have the same configuration.
I have a doubt regarding OneDrive: I was on vacation with the i7 and an HP i5 12th and I've been playing with files in OneDrive.
Specifically, I wanted to try the advanced OneDrive function "Free up Disk Space" on the HP machine whilst the i7 (the Edge Canary one) was connected to the same network.
I also moved the Video folder to another location on the HP.
With these manouvres, may I have corrupted some Edge files or add-ons files that Edge Canary use and loads automatically when connected?
It is not more than a doubt, since other people are experiencing the same.
About the profiles, it happened before I was aware of the existence of the new function "Work profile".
After RORW_WORK talked about it, I create my work profile with an ENTRA ID I own.
Nice function (between parenthesis) but the crashes were absolutely the same as before.
So I uninstalled Edge Canary with all its configuration files and re-installed it tracing the installation and the registry changes with Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable.
Then I uninstalled it once more cleaning up the registry and any other lost files related to Edge SxS etc.
I re-installed it with no luck.
The fact that on my Ryzen it is not crashing after more than an hour, is another factor that should be investigate, among other possible causes.

I saw your post and so I downloaded Canary to a laptop with a Ryzen 7 5700U + Radeon and Canary has no problems. Our desktops are Intel i7 and those both have the same issue.

Sad news. It has begun to crash even on the Ryzen. It worked for more than an hour then I clicked on a favorite site icon on Edge background, and it crashed.
Let's wait for the big nerds to solve the issue. In the meanwhile, Edge Dev for all. ;) 

Ruh roh... I went back and played around with the laptop for a while and unfortunately mine has started crashing too. So, not an Intel thing it seems. I do remember this happening once before with Canary so it looks like they've reintroduced the problem.

Same problem with browser on my PC - both on Edge Canary (118.0.2060.0 and win build 25936)

Mine has updated to 2067 this morning and so far it is behaving.

I can also confirm that build 2068 now works again.

My solution was to rename "Default" to "Default_" in the sxs folder untill edge updated, then I deleted the temporary non-signed in default and renamed my old folder back, now I have all my open tabs again.

Trev

I to got an update to 2067 on both Windows and Mac. This does seem to have fixed the issue. I was surprised that it took so long to address the issue, but this is "ALPHA" stage software. So, have to expect the occasional issue such as this. Would love to know what broke. I suspect it was something to do with profiles as a clean setup with no linked profiles worked in both Windows and macOS.

Again, very odd behavior, but at least it appears to be fixed now.

On a side note: Does anyone else wish they would bring back the solid black theme instead of this ugly grey theme?