SOLVED

How to setup a work profile on Edge Dev Channel on Linux (Ubuntu)

Copper Contributor

Hello, I'm trying to sign in with my work account on Edge but getting the following error message:

"We couldn't find an account with that email address or phone number. Would you like to sign up for a new Microsoft account? Sign up"

I even enabled the following under my Edge profile:

"Allow single sign-on for work or school sites using this profile
If this setting is on, you’ll be able to access work or school sites on this device using this profile. If this setting is off, you’ll need to switch to your work or school account profile to use single sign-on."

I am currently logged in with my work account on Edge (not via the profile embed functionality on the browser), so no issue with my login information or something like that.

Basically that seems there is an issue with the domain not changing to: "portal.office.com"

Any advice will be helpful, thanks!

16 Replies
best response confirmed by niv-go (Copper Contributor)
Solution

It is currently not possible to sign-in to Edge sync with a work account (AAD) on the Linux platform. Only personal Microsoft accounts are supported at this time. You can find more info here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/users-can-now-sign-in-and-sync-their-favorites-with-...

Thank you for the quick response, do you have some information if this is in the road map and should arrive somewhere this year?

There isn't a way by tweaking some internal settings files maybe on Linux in order to achieve this?
Sorry, but I don't have any additional information than what was written in the article that I've mentioned in my answer.
How is this STILL an issue? We're in November now, Edge on Linux is """stable""", and yet you still cannot sign in to a work account.
Thank you for this post. I really hope the dev team sees this and considers adding this feature soon; Edge feels incomplete without it. It's the only thing preventing me from switching to Edge permanently.
Same here. If we are able to log-in into office365 work account -- we will be able to get all our content synced. This is not possible today.
Tried to copy my collections from WIndows to Ubuntu, under /home/david/.config/microsoft-edge-dev/Default/Collections/ .. although the files are there -- collections on the default profile are empty..... HELP! How can I move my stuff from WIndows to Ubuntu -- if I am unable to sing-on into office365 work account.....
Has something changed between April and December 2021? If not, are there gonna be some updates next year? Thanks!

@Igor Jagec I would be very interested in an update on this topic myself. Perhaps @josh_bodner  or @MissyQcould comment on this? The radio silence on this topic that has been going on for over almost a year is pretty annoying...

As of April 9th, 2022, build 100.0.1185.36 (newer build than the dev build from February), this still does NOT work.

Trying to sign in simply gives me the error "Something went wrong. [1001]"

@BitingChaos 

I've the same problem here tested at this time with the beta and version 102.0.1245.7

Same problem with dev and stable version

Same test today with the last dev version 103.0.1253.0-1. Do you need the troubleshooting details ?

Hi all,

Good news it works today with the 103.0.1255.0-1

Thanks to all for fixing on dev channel this feature :)
I can confirm. 103.0.1255.0 signed me right in. Finally!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by niv-go (Copper Contributor)
Solution

It is currently not possible to sign-in to Edge sync with a work account (AAD) on the Linux platform. Only personal Microsoft accounts are supported at this time. You can find more info here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/users-can-now-sign-in-and-sync-their-favorites-with-...

View solution in original post