SOLVED

File links redirecting to directory open the parent directory (IntranetFileLinksEnabled)

Copper Contributor

Hello,

We have some issues using the new IntranetFileLinksEnabled policy.

On the policy page, we can read:

If you enable this policy, intranet zone file URL links originating from intranet zone HTTPS pages will open Windows File Explorer for that file or directory.

If I understand correctly, a link to "file://///unc-path-server/share/file.txt " will open Explorer inside "\\unc-path-server\share" instead of directly opening "file.txt", as a security purpose.

For files, this is not a problem. But what about links opening a folder? A link to "file://///unc-path-server/share/folder" will open Explorer inside "\\unc-path-server\share", which may not be accessible to the user.

Is there a way to tell Edge to open folder links directly inside the folder, and not the parent folder?

Thank you in advance for your insights.

3 Replies
Same Problem!

Makes the feature almost useless and causes more confusion and problems.
In my case, the user has no rights to see the target folder. So finding it is impossible.

The only workaround that I found is to create a folder inside the folder and target that, to get where you want to go.
This workaround is no fix and is stupid in the first place.

I went back to the policy documentation page, and discovered that it got an interesting update:

If you enable this policy, intranet zone file URL links originating from intranet zone HTTPS pages will open Windows File Explorer to the parent directory of the file and select the file. Intranet zone directory URL links originating from intranet zone HTTPS pages will open Windows File Explorer to the directory with no items in the directory selected.

I updated Edge to the latest version (99.0.1150.39), but still not working as expected.
Then I tried the latest version of Edge Canary (101.0.1195.0), and it works as expected ! :)

I couldn't find an announcement of some sorts about this in the latest dev channel updates, so I guess this update comes with the 101 version.

best response confirmed by djupille (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Tried the Edge 100 version from the stable channel, and a link on a directory now works as expected. :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by djupille (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Tried the Edge 100 version from the stable channel, and a link on a directory now works as expected. :)

View solution in original post