Edge painfully slow to load save file and download dialog box

Brass Contributor

Hello having issues last few days with dialog box appearing super slow when saving images or any file.
No issues in Firefox or Chrome, cleared all my data, cookies, cache.

Thanks

43 Replies

@pazsol6062 Hey, friend, thanks so much for posting your response. As Alex asked above to another, do you happen to have another antivirus that is used in your environment? Additionally, I want to call out that we have had an incremental update to Edge 99 in our Stable channel, we are on version 99.0.1150.46, so head to edge://settings/help to force update to this version to test.

If it is still occurring, I'd love to get a trace from you to escalate this further, since it seems that you may not be part of the group affected by Malwarebytes. You can gather one for me by heading to the ... menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback to open the feedback tool. On here, you should see an option to Record my problem, click that to open up the recording tool. Check the box stating that you understand you are sending us diagnostics, be sure to include every option listed and then Start recording. Go through the motions of reproducing the problem while the trace/recording is happening. After the browser recovers, head back to the feedback tool, click Stop recording, and wait for all of the traces to attach. You should see a button Save and include, click that and it will take you back to the regular feedback tool. In the description, detail what you are hitting, and put my name (MissyQ) into it so that I can easily find your feedback item. If you include your email address, this will give the team the opportunity to speak with you directly about your feedback, but this is also optional. Hit send, and then respond back here so that I know you have sent it in. We can continue from there! 

Looking forward to your response. :3

Missy Quarry (she/they)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Join us on Twitter, or over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

Hello, having also issues last few weeks with dialog box appearing super slow when saving images or any file.
No issues also in Firefox or Chrome.
Version 99.0.1150.36 (Version officielle) (64 bits), I encountered also this issue with old version.
Mcafee has been disabled before performed test.
I manage deployment with SCCM so I need time to test 99.0.1150.46 version.

Thanks
For information, I updated Edge to 99.0.1150.46 and I encounter same issue.
Firefox -- > instantaneous
Chrome ( not up to date, ESR version) -->small delay time
Edge Chromium --> big delay time and somtimes stuck, tab hang ..
Operating System --> Windows 10 1909 x64

Thanks,

@JBJBJB2 

Hi I think the reason for your problems may be the version of Windows 1909,
should be 2004 what do you think?

I did do the malwarebytes update mention in this stream. Will see if that corrects my issue. Thanks

@Alexandra-R 

A coworker is having this same problem. When he accesses a file download link on our internal team website there is this long delay and CPU usage spikes on msedge.exe. 

None of the rest of us on the team are seeing this behavior, and other browsers on his machines (FireFox, IE) don't have the problem. 

Unfortunately, our IT dept disabled the Alt+Shift+I Send Feedback feature, so he can't send that. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is caused by one of the 50 (exaggeration?) McAfee exe's running on our machines, or Carbon Black, as these are a constant source of irritation. However, usually when that's the case you can see CPU Usage spike on one of those processes too, and that's not happening. 

Also, 6 other people with essentially identical machine, OS, and settings are not seeing the same issue. 

Any ideas on things we can do to debug this issue?

Edge: 99.0.1150.55

Hello everyone,

I'm having this issue when I try to download any files with Edge version 103.0.1264.44.
I have recorded the network traffic on both my computer and network firewall and it appearded that my computer tried to reach some public IP address from Microsoft directly without using our proxy.
When I disable Smartscreen option in Edge, the download is instant.

I don't understand why the Smartscreen functionnality in Edge doesn't use the proxy configuration. I didn't found anything on GPO settings regarding a proxy for Smatscreen.

Anyone has an idea ?

@Yannick1285 

Thank you for your sharing.

Found there is an article about Microsoft Edge Version 103 is Now Available (Posted on June 24, 2022)
There are also some notable non-gaming additions in Microsoft Edge 103. Microsoft says that it has rewritten its Microsoft Defender SmartScreen library for Microsoft Edge on Windows, and the new version should provide better protection while browsing the web.

It is related to Microsoft Edge - Enable new SmartScreen library

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#newsmartscreenlibraryenabled

Hope this helps.

@pazsol6062 you need disable SmartScreen to Microsoft Edge from Windows Security \ Check App and Browser. If you have antivirus it's possible have same feature actived.

you need disable SmartScreen to Microsoft Edge from Windows Security \ Check App and Browser. If you have antivirus it's possible have same feature actived.

@Yannick1285 you need disable SmartScreen to Microsoft Edge from Windows Security \ Check App and Browser. If you have antivirus it's possible have same feature actived.

Hello @vitopro yes I know it works fine if I disable it but I don't want to. I just want to make it works with a proxy server.
Thanks @Chun Long TAN

So I think there is a bug with this new feature as it doesn't use proxy server configuration...
Probably, it is related to the Microsoft Edge 103 new SmartScreen library.
I confirm, this is related to this new library.
I made a test on my computer by disabling the new SmartScreen library and it fix the issue.

Windows Registry Settings
Path (Mandatory): HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge
Value Name: NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value 0x00000000

I hope Microsoft will fix it soon.

Hi @Yannick1285 

Thank you for your confirmation, but the best way to reach Edge engineers is ( Alt+Shift+I ) + diagnostic data.

I also think that this will be fixed! 

Hello all, we are facing the same issue since last week as anyone opened a Microsoft case ?
Disabling SmartScreen is last resort for us.

Of course you are right - >Disabling SmartScreen is not the solution, in MTC we can help each other , but the Edge team - must have diagnostic data to develop fixes for all users!
Alexandra,
Has there been a definitive answer/resolution to this issue. I have the exact same problem.
I am running Edge version 103.0.1264.71 64bit. It is impacting 285 PC's. We do not experience it with Chrome or IE. I have completely uninstalled and ran McAfee's clean up wizard. I created an OU in AD and blocked all group policy inheritance. Still no good.

Please advise.

Thank you,
John

@jlombard111 

Hi Everyone

I opened a case with Microsoft Support because the workaround using the "NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled" is said to be deprecated in Edge v105.

Last Friday I got the latest update on the case:

"We're in the final stages of testing and validation.  The NewSmartScreenLibrary policy is still available and will remain available until we're confident the issue has been resolved. 

Please update the Edge version to 104.0.1293.70 and test without the workarounds and check if the issue is resolved."

104.0.1293.70 has been released in stable channel last Thursday.

I updated to this version and deleted the "NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled" GPO Setting.

The issue actually seems to be resolved! :)