SOLVED

Office365 connectivity test:

Copper Contributor

when running office365 network checker, I get:

"Unable to connect to origin. Inner exception message:
The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception."  pops up immediately. 

3rd party apps work fine. I am writing this on the machine.  

I suspect it is a certificate issue or HTTPS issue with Microsoft?  

Windows 11 22h2 has issues as well.  Microsoft store   error 0x800704cf

windows update/defender updates error 

Feedback Hub: error (I was on beta build of 22h2. I upgraded to official 22h2, same issue)

windows update: error 8000704cf

windows 22h2 upgrade didn't fix it

no hosts. file

disabled all 3 firewall profiles

ran 4 online scanners for rootkits and such

Malwarebytes no problems 

boot to safe mode - same issue

logged in as admin same issue

reset network from windows, no joy

tried 1.1.1.1 DNS, tried ISP default fiber DNS.  

ran checkdsk, SFC /scannow, DISM no errors

this is a prod system running VMs and many services.  reinstalling windows is last resort.  

any advice is GREATLY WELCOME

23 Replies

@CoCoKola 

Are you saying Microsoft 365 network connectivity test tool? If yes, may refer to assistant for the setup:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/office-365-network-mac-perf-onboarding-to...

The Microsoft 365 network connectivity test tool, yes. It does work. When I download the executable THAT app crashes. So I was wrong about access to Microsoft servers as per that tool, but I am trying to troubleshoot my other issues.
here is the crash log:
Faulting application name: Connectivity.52f1ec02-387d-4e1e-bb6d-93bb7da4a004.exe, version: 1.9.79.0, time stamp: 0x641cef7e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1635, time stamp: 0x61869dd2
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000006536c
Faulting process id: 0x0xB848
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D98B4A5AA3BC3C
Faulting application path: C:\Users\robpr\Downloads\Connectivity.52f1ec02-387d-4e1e-bb6d-93bb7da4a004.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a61dc202-efe7-4896-9ec6-d4080a8973cd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

My overall question still stands, diving deeper into what is causing the system not to connect.

I have used tcpip view to verify there are no unanswered connection attempts. Further, Process monitor is showing no issues either.

What am I missing?
Microsoft 365 network connectivity test tool- yes.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi @CoCoKola ,

When the error pops up, is there any other message below "Unable to connect to origin. Inner exception message: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception."? 

no.
I launch the downloaded app and I get that pop-up on top of the "onboarding advance tests" , I can click OK and the "onboarding advanced tests" continues to display but nothing else happens.
waited a day and nothing changed. My only action I can take is click on "cancel".

I'm trying to find the root cause of the issue. Could you please help me with the following two questions first?

1. Are you using a proxy to connect to the Internet?
2. Could you please try downloading the standalone connectivity test tool to see if we could get the whole error message? It works quite similarly to the desktop application but in a console.

The standalone rich client could be downloaded here: https://connectivity.office.com/api/AnonymousConnectivityTest/DownloadStandAloneRichClient

After the download is finished you could simply click it and see if the same issue shows up again and if there's more inner error message. There will be consent required after executing the console.

If you run into some problems when using the standalone rich client, here're guidelines for it: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/office-365-network-mac-perf-onboarding-to...
or you could comment here.

Thanks.

Thank you fro your reply. No proxies are used.

Downloading the tool I have the same issue, nothing happens. I had seen previously the downloaded app crashed with that pop-up.

I tried launching the direct link above but running as admin and this time I was prompted for permission to run on what looked like a PowerShell terminal pop-up and goes away.

@CoCoKola 

I have found out the error message relates to a certificate or an issue with the time being off creating an invalid key for https or other cert used to communicate with the Microsoft servers.

Browser's trusted issuer list might be different from the operating system. I've sent a message to check the information. Thanks.
Could you please provide more information about the error message? what's the cert and time issue?

@dingxin  I identified this as the issue by looking up the error code for this thread, plus I have checked and tested every other possibility.  I checked certs from what I know and didn't set anything obvious.it's it guaranteed?no. 

It was the same error code in the log file generated by this connectivity app.  Look up the 0x8.. Error from original post the the log file from the stand alone app you provided. You will find what I found.

The Office365 connectivity test ensures seamless connectivity and functionality for Seattle executive search [hyperlink removed by admin] firms, enhancing productivity and efficiency in their daily operations.

and?

Friendly reminder: Please refrain from posting third-party links to unrelated or self-promotional content as it violates our Code of Conduct and Tech Community Guidelines.

Thanks,

Meenah

Microsoft 365 Community Manager

Thanks. Could you please help me clarify the following two questions?
1. Is 'DigiCert Global Root G2' on the operating system's trusted issuer list, as described in the private message I sent to you? There should be some trusted issuers on the list for the client to trust the certs received from servers.
2. Could you still repro this issue? I'm asking this question because I received an email saying you marked the answer "Browser's trusted issuer list might be different from the operating system. I've sent a message to check the information" as an accepted solution.

Missed this post until now... Yes 'DigiCert Global Root G2' is listed and is active.

2. yes it is still having the same issue and the same results.

I clicked "best response" by mistake. ID10T

I unchecked it right away, but I guess the automated message still goes.. ;)
best response confirmed by kenipotter (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi CocoKola, could you please help me with the following 3 questions?

1. Is TLS 1.2 protocol disabled on your machine?
M365 connectivity test tool service requires TLS 1.2 to establish SSL connections.  You may check that on your registry editor to see if it's disabled. You could search "Registry Editor" in the taskbar and open it, then navigate to the following path:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols

TLS 1.2 should be enabled to use M365 Connectivity Test Tool .exe client.

2. Are the following two cipher suite on your machine?

TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0xc030)
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (0xc02f)

Cipher suite can also be checked in Registry Editor. The path is: 
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\CipherSuite

Those two cipher suites are required by the connectivity test tool service.

3. is .NET Desktop Runtime 6 installed on the machine?

This shouldn't be the reason for the SSL connection failure but I see the exception code 0xe0434352 in the crash log you provided in the comment on May 21st, so just want to double-confirm. Is the crash log below from the issue in the original post saying "Unable to connect to origin. Inner exception message: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception" shows when executing the rich client? 

dingxin_0-1686659748145.png

If the TLS and cipher suites configuration are unknown, you can also try to enable them on the machine using this software or modify the registry through the Registry Editor and see if the issue can be resolved.

The software is NARTAC which can be downloaded from:
https://www.nartac.com/Products/IISCrypto/Download

No installation requires. Checking the needed TLS protocol and Cipher Suite should work.

Hi @CoCoKola, can you try @dingxin's latest comments? It maybe the TLS version and Cipher suites problem in the client-side operation system settings.
Appreciate if you can have a try and provide more feedback. So that we can provide more support.
Thanks~
1.2 tls is enabled. I tried enabling all tls in internet options. I'll check the rest shortly. I have several health issues that delay getting things done. I'll reply back asap
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kenipotter (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi CocoKola, could you please help me with the following 3 questions?

1. Is TLS 1.2 protocol disabled on your machine?
M365 connectivity test tool service requires TLS 1.2 to establish SSL connections.  You may check that on your registry editor to see if it's disabled. You could search "Registry Editor" in the taskbar and open it, then navigate to the following path:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols

TLS 1.2 should be enabled to use M365 Connectivity Test Tool .exe client.

2. Are the following two cipher suite on your machine?

TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0xc030)
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (0xc02f)

Cipher suite can also be checked in Registry Editor. The path is: 
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\CipherSuite

Those two cipher suites are required by the connectivity test tool service.

3. is .NET Desktop Runtime 6 installed on the machine?

This shouldn't be the reason for the SSL connection failure but I see the exception code 0xe0434352 in the crash log you provided in the comment on May 21st, so just want to double-confirm. Is the crash log below from the issue in the original post saying "Unable to connect to origin. Inner exception message: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception" shows when executing the rich client? 

dingxin_0-1686659748145.png

If the TLS and cipher suites configuration are unknown, you can also try to enable them on the machine using this software or modify the registry through the Registry Editor and see if the issue can be resolved.

The software is NARTAC which can be downloaded from:
https://www.nartac.com/Products/IISCrypto/Download

No installation requires. Checking the needed TLS protocol and Cipher Suite should work.

View solution in original post