SOLVED

Enterprise Products without Teams

Brass Contributor

With the announcement that as of April 1st, partners can no longer sell net-new purchases of enterprise products, M365 E3/E5, Office 365 E3/E5 with Team included, will this also apply to a customer going through a merger where they are consolidating from two tenants into a new tenant?

MarkBenton_0-1715277589991.png

Thanks

Mark 

8 Replies

Hi @Mark Benton 

With the announcement that as of April 1st, partners can no longer sell net-new purchases of enterprise products, M365 E3/E5, Office 365 E3/E5 with Team included, will this also apply to a customer going through a merger where they are consolidating from two tenants into a new tenant?

That's a great question.

This was announced in the April Partner Center announcements and after reviewing the full document, I don't see any mention of an exception for mergers.  Likely since Microsoft began migrating customers to the New Commerce Experience (NCE) platform, and tenant migration and license transfer is not supported in NCE:

LicensingConcierge1_1-1715292611016.png

If this reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, if after reviewing the information you have additional questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Microsoft CSP Licensing Concierge

best response confirmed by Mark Benton (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Mark Benton 

Check the latest partner FAQ.
https://aka.ms/M365TeamsChangePartnerFAQ *** removed Partner Only documentation since the public has access to this community ***

This document can be found by logging into Partner Center :smile:

Nick_Beacroft_0-1715315101795.png

It may be that at the time you would need to raise a support request depending on the scenario.

If both organisations are merging into a single tenant, then if the tenant already has 'with Teams' licenses regardless of Business or Enterprise, then they should be able to buy new subscriptions/licenses with Teams.

Where a completely new tenant is being created and you are licensing it from nothing, then that's a different challenge. This is likely where you would need a support request, with evidence of the merger, the fact they already have with Teams licenses etc. And you are of course dependent on the current whim of Microsoft support.

@Mark Benton Hi there, there is a substantial FAQ document with many exceptions. If customer has existing subscriptions this count-but do check out out details for yourself! 2024 – "We will update this FAQ to incorporate additional scenarios and feedback. 

Hi @Susan2022 

Thank you for replying to assist, it's greatly appreciated:smile:

However, since Microsoft has noted that the document that you've linked should not be distributed, I will need to remove this file. 

LicensingConcierge1_1-1715706690941.png

I have to question why Microsoft has Partner communities and then allows non-partners to access the posts and content?
The previous iteration, Microsoft Partner Community, I believe was limited to partners. IMO it was also a better platform than this tech community too.
That's a valid question that I do not have the answer to. Maybe @jill Armour can clarify.

@LicensingConcierge1  ,

This is has been an interesting thread, but I am ultimately looking for an official response to the following question.  If a customer with existing Enterprise products, such as M365 E3 or E5, migrates to a brand-new tenant as part of a merger with another organization, who is also migrating to the same new tenant, can they maintain the rights to the legacy enterprise bundles with Teams? Fine if we need to open a support ticket, I just need to inform our sales team how to properly quote the licensing for this migration.

Thanks,

Mark Benton

Hi @Mark Benton 

Your original question did not ask about maintaining rights, so I did not address rights in my reply.  I've accurately responded to your original question by confirming that if you're in NCE, tenant migration is not supported.

Partners are to use the resources in Partner Center to find answers to questions. This community is only one resource. 

If Partner Communities and the documentation in Partner Center does not answer your questions, you can submit a support ticket, or consider one of the one-on-one support offerings- Compare Microsoft Partner Support Offerings. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mark Benton (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Mark Benton 

Check the latest partner FAQ.
https://aka.ms/M365TeamsChangePartnerFAQ *** removed Partner Only documentation since the public has access to this community ***

This document can be found by logging into Partner Center :smile:

Nick_Beacroft_0-1715315101795.png

It may be that at the time you would need to raise a support request depending on the scenario.

If both organisations are merging into a single tenant, then if the tenant already has 'with Teams' licenses regardless of Business or Enterprise, then they should be able to buy new subscriptions/licenses with Teams.

Where a completely new tenant is being created and you are licensing it from nothing, then that's a different challenge. This is likely where you would need a support request, with evidence of the merger, the fact they already have with Teams licenses etc. And you are of course dependent on the current whim of Microsoft support.

View solution in original post