SOLVED

Removing students from Team created class notebooks

Iron Contributor

Here's an interesting one: 

When a new student is added to a Team, they also arrive in class notebook. But when they are removed from the Team, they remain in the notebook. When you go to 'add or remove students' via the desktop add-in, the notebook concerned isn't in the available list. 

Is it just us or has anyone else found this?

John

35 Replies

Hi 

I am experiencing same problem.  I created the Class Notebook in Teams, I have deleted the student but their personal folder still appears in class notebook?

@John Goodhind 

Right clicking on their section does not work. @John Goodhind 

Will give this a go,@Klick77 

@Sean Harris Excuses, if you ask me.  Just add a confirmation prompt.   Now we are stuck with the student forever!

I managed to delete the folders by accessing class notebook via full version of one note - you can delete the student folders in here and they are removed. @SimonCHLim 

@Sharon_Stewart Thank you Sharon.  I found it too, after many tries and I doubt I can find it again but for the time being I can solve it.  I tried it on Web, it did not work.  I tried it on App, it did not work.   But somehow I chanced on one version and it did.
What I did at the full version, I went to the tab Add/Remove student and it took me to another screen like a Wizard - and then it said "No ClassNotebooks created" when I had accessed it from the Class Notebook!   Really confusing!

Thanks anyway

@Klick77 Didn't work for me...how did you do it.  My students only show up on right hand side...ugh!

@Sharon_Stewart I find it rather confusion the student name for the Student notebook - is it a sort of label or placeholder?   I cannot remove it.   I can remove all the subsections in it but it does not allow me to do anything to it.  Is it like a "parent folder"?  It does not appear so, and it is not behave like a section

@SimonCHLim Oops, I meant to say "confusing" instead of "confusion".   I was using the Web Onenote and that  happened.  I managed to open the App and yes, I can remove the Section group from there.  Wonder why they do not standardise the functions.  One have to negotiate through a series of steps (which probably will change in a couple of months and they stealthily update your computer) and you are faced with the problem again....

@MamaO10  quelle version de OneNote utilisez-vous ? (2016 ou Windows 10) ?

Il faut supprimer le groupe de sections avec un clic-droit.
I appear to still have the same issue as this after a long time. I know that OneNote, ClassNote and Teams ClassNoteBook are all very slightly different beasts and so features available in one are not necessary available in all.
I have just followed the advice on the replies and it appears you can manually delete but only in the Windows 10 App. Hard work but at lease it operates. It is a shame that you cannot allocate the same ClassNotebook to multiple teams. I use this as a resources across Year 10, 11, 12 and 13 and so I do not want to have to update multiple copies.

@KeirStanley  The student section isn't removed automatically when a student is removed from the Team because that student section would likely include Assignment/Assessments that you might need for grading or permanent records even though the student is no longer in the Team. It is quite straightforward to delete the student section from the desktop app using right click>Delete section. Teams (SharePoint) manages the permissions for access to the Class Notebook attached to the Team, so even though the student section is still present, the student will no longer have access to the Class Notebook as soon as they are removed from the Team. Conversely when a student is added to the Team, they immediately gain access to the Class Notebook attached to the Team and an individual student section is created for them (though this sometimes has a time delay to sync and show up in all copies of the Class Notebook - web/desktop/mobile).

@millerblair  Thank you

Yes I had seen this option and have used it for individual students.  It is slightly more work if you have 50+ students to remove.  Especially if like me you mainly use the Office 365 version due to sync errors in the past.

Thanks again.  I was hoping that MS may have updated the feature.

Keir

Many thanks @Klick77!  :happyface: - That has helped. -