SOLVED

How do you delete a Class Notebook created in Teams?

Copper Contributor

What's the correct procedure to delete a Class Notebook that's been created via a Team and how can I view where they are stored?

I've deleted the team that has the class notebook in but i'm still seeing the notebook listed under Office 365->Class Notebook->Manage Notebook under the co-owned notebooks.

Also what's the correct way to add\remove students and teachers to Class notebook created in Teams, are we supposed to do this in Teams rather than Onenote?

Thanks

17 Replies

I have the same problem. I don't know where they are stored and cannot delete them, even after deleting the team.

Yes it's a bit confusing in that there's two ways to create Class notebook and they both work differently.

Does anyone know the following?

When creating Class notebooks in Teams-

• Where is the Class notebooks stored, they don't appear in OneDrive->Class Notebooks like normal.
  • How do you delete Class Notebooks that have been created in Teams? Once the team has been deleted the notebook continues to exist.
  • How are teachers and pupils meant to be added and removed from Class Notebooks created in teams?

best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

You can either wait for 30 days until the data is purge or you can remove it by permanently deleting the Office 365 Group associated with the Class Notebook created in Teams.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/restore-a-deleted-office-365-group-b7c66b59-657a-4e1a-8aa0-...

@Stephen Campion 

I Have this exact issue but have been busy with MS Support regarding this.

If you create a normal notebook in 365 Onenote it stores in you Onedrive under:

Files>Notebooks

if you create a class notebook from 365 Onenote it self it stores in:

Files>Class Notebook

if you create a class notebook in teams it stores in:

Sharepoint>"yoursite">Site contents>Site Assets

if you create a staff notebook in teams it stores in:

Files>Staff Notebook

but i have not yet found a way to delete this link you can remove it and restrict permission for it but have not found a way to actually delete or replace this file under you sharepoint site.

Hope this clears somethings up for you.

Regards

Francois

2020/08/28

@Francois_Pienaar  This is very helpful.  I created a Class Notebook in Teams but now would like to delete it because all my students already have OneNote Notebooks that they would like to use.  I have 2 questions:

1. How do I locate my "Sharepoint" files??  

2. How do I remove / restrict permission to the Class Notebook that I created in Teams?

Many Thanks!!

@spaldo74  I am having the same issue!

Microsoft apps are very cool with one exception.... it is very difficult to delete things once you create them.
Okay so to find the sharepoint file follow these steps:

*Open Microsoft Admin center
*Scroll down
*Choose more if this is an option
*You should see onnthe left side panel all the admin centers
*Go to sharepoint
*Open you team's site
*Site contents
*Site assets

But this document cannot be deleted have tried with ms support already.

It is quite frustrating.

Hope this helps

Regards
Francois
To restrict permission on this document you just use the more options (three dots)

And edit link it should have a option to restrict it there

Regards
Francois

@SBrown3127 I FIGURED IT OUT!! 

You have to open the Class Notebook in the OneNote app. Not in Teams or the web version. 

On the far left you will see a list of your notebooks. 

Right click on the one you no longer want. 

Click the "Close Notebook" option 

AND IT IS GONE!! 

:) 

I have been working on this for two days now!! It has been driving me crazy!

@AHolloway83 

I've tried that too. It only hides the notebook, it does not delete it. It is a bane from Hell!

@AHolloway83This did not work for me either. just hides the notebook 

@Mark Raymond Cabillo, Even after 30 days, it is still there

@AHolloway83 but it does not clear them from TEAMS. I messed up the notebook setup and want to start over with the teams notebook that syncs with OneNote. ???

Teams notebooks are stored in Site Assets. Get to this from Sharepoint.
I have succesfully renamed a notebook here - I have not recreated a notebook (I have an issue at the moment that I am trying to resolve - corrupted Class notebook) - not sure if this is remotely possible - likely to be code somewhere in the background of Teams linking to the notebook.
You should find all your class notebooks in your onedrive.
You should not try to make a copy of a notebook in one drive, you should do that in one note. It will corrupt every time. And probably is Microsoft keeps moving her stuff lives. Good luck

@Stephen Campion I was able to open the notebook on SharePoint and delete it there.

1. Go to your sharepoint website (in your browser)

2. Go to "My Files" for me it is a paper icon in the left toolbar

_GFH__1-1687377344834.png

3. Click on the link below the notebook you want to delete, if you hover over this link it says "Click this link to open the folder containing this item"

4. Click the three dots next to the document name

_GFH__2-1687377505758.png

5. Select Delete, you get a warning asking if you are sure

_GFH__3-1687377551330.png

Then you can remove links from your teams channel! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

You can either wait for 30 days until the data is purge or you can remove it by permanently deleting the Office 365 Group associated with the Class Notebook created in Teams.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/restore-a-deleted-office-365-group-b7c66b59-657a-4e1a-8aa0-...

View solution in original post