Power Platform / Dynamics 365 Licensing

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've been passed here from the Power Platform for Partners channel to see whether anybody here as any suggestions.

We're developing a model driven app containing both core and custom tables, however, we're struggling to understand the licensing that our customers need.

The confusion we have is over whether we can license our customers with a Power Apps Premium license or whether they need a Dynamics Sales Enterprise license.

Our model driven app consists of approximately 120 custom tables, and 19 core tables with some customizations. From the Sales Hub we include Campaign, Campaign Response, Lead, Marketing list & Sales literature.

From the document we have read it appears to us that we need a single Dynamics Sales license to perform the install, and then each customer can have a Power Apps Premium license, as this provides CRUD access to the custom tables and the core tables included in our App. Is this understanding correct?

From the sales license document it appears that a sales license is only required on the qualify lead operation which we do not make use of. Is this correct?

We have had numerous conversations where some people have said all customers need a Dynamics Sales license because we've got Lead in our model driven app, and then others have said that the Power Apps Premium license will cover leads.

We need to make sure that the licensing guidance we give to our customers is correct, without them finding out under a Microsoft audit that the initial guidance was wrong.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Regards,

S. Tooley

Technical Architect

Time for Advice Ltd.

3 Replies

This is the same case as before, right? :p Power Platform / Dynamics 365 Licensing - Microsoft Community Hub.

This is a partner community hub, so you won't get any official licensing answers here, only partners that are trying to support and share answers where possible. 

Getting conflicting answers from Microsoft and other resources is unfortunately just the way Microsoft works :p 

I've shared my point of view on this case; you do not need a D365 license to perform CRUD actions on non-restricted tables. Microsoft is clear about that: Restricted tables requiring Dynamics 365 licenses - Power Apps | Microsoft Learn. The only thing a Power Apps license doesn't have access to (next to restricted tables), are the default apps like Sales Hub. Power Apps users can only access custom (model-driven or canvas) apps. 

If you want a more official answer, try contacting your Microsoft contact or your CSP Provider (disti). 

Hi @Simon_Tooley_T4A 

Power Apps is the platform to customize and extend applications in D365, such as D365 Sales in context of the use rights.

I assume you're one of our valued Resellers who does not have access to Partner Center, correct? If so, you would work with your Indirect Provider (aka Distributor) to provide you with customer support, pricing, and billing that help to ensure your success.

Partners and Indirect Providers are able to log into Partner Center to find resources such as the D365 LG which defines the use rights for D365 Sales so that you can find a licensing solution. 

Here is a snapshot of a portion of the use rights table:

LicensingConcierge1_0-1712248184910.png

other resources available in Partner Center is the MS Learn Docs, such as Welcome to Dynamics 365 Sales | Microsoft Learn

and 

Licensing overview for Microsoft Power Platform - Power Platform | Microsoft Learn

If you are a Partner and you've reviewed the resources available and find that you require one-on-one support, please review the advanced or premier support offerings - Compare Microsoft Partner Support Offerings

If this reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Microsoft CSP Licensing Concierge

I see that you posted this inquiry in the Partner Benefits community.

Since the subject relates to D365 Sales (a BizApp), I've moved your post to the Business Applications (BizApps) community for your convenience.