SOLVED

Newbee question on re: how billing works

Copper Contributor

I have 3 virtual machines and a virtual network. If I come in, work for 3 hours, and turn them all off I am only billed for 3 hours of work, correct?

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Jim Ehrenberg (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Be sure to deallocate the VM’s, not just shut them down in the OS. You will be charged for the managed disk even if the VM is reallocated.

@Travis Roberts   Thanks Travis!. 

@Jim Ehrenberg 

Hello Jim,

If you Stop your VM so only the operating system is turned off. other resources are still working in the backend or you can say the resources occupy or the space-consuming charges in the Microsoft servers like VNet, Storage Account, NSG, Disks, etc. so you have to pay charges for the reserved space.

@Prashant Sharma Thank you Prashant. Is there one button or powershell command I can run to turn everything off as you indicated above or do I need to do it individually each time? Thanks!

@Jim Ehrenberg 

Hello Jim,

I have a PowerShell script, but Using this Script you can only turn off the multiple VMs using a single click.
According to me, there is no procedure to shutdown other services, neither manually nor by Script. Because when the machine is stopped, so these services are also in the stopped state, but Services reserved charges are ongoing not using charges.

@Jim Ehrenberg 

Hi you will be charged for 3 hours but  even if your vms are turned off the disks still take space and you are charged for this . Same for all services consumed by the Virtual machines like some networking services and unfortunately it is impossible to stop them. The good news is they don't cost a lot.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jim Ehrenberg (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Be sure to deallocate the VM’s, not just shut them down in the OS. You will be charged for the managed disk even if the VM is reallocated.

View solution in original post