A question about Azure's Log analytics agent deprecation and Defender for Cloud policy

Copper Contributor

Currently (1/19/24) there is a Microsoft Defender for Cloud recommendation under the "Apply system updates" titled "Log Analytics agent should be installed on virtual machines."

Following the article here (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/agents/log-analytics-agent) it is stated that the Log Analytics agent will no longer be supported after August 31, 2024. I did some searching and found that it would not be recommended to install the Log Analytics agent giving its deprecation path.

My question is what happens to the Microsoft Defender for Cloud policy and recommendation? Will this still show healthy/unhealthy resources even after the August date? Will there be a new policy deployed in Azure which will instead check for the new Azure Monitor?

Should I just ignore this till it all goes away? Or should I create an exemption for this policy for the impacted resources that are currently missing the deprecated Log Analytics agent?

Thank you.

1 Reply