SOLVED

Add guest user to Windows Virtual Desktop app pool

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to add guest user to my App pool but I always get the following error:

The identity provider for Tenant 'xxxxxxxxxx' did not recognize User '≤xxxxxxxxxx≥'.

Is there any restriction to add guest users?

My guess will be that because the guest user account password hash are not registered in AADDS, it will not be technically possible to enable this service for guest account but I will let the expert confirm....

Thank you for your help.

29 Replies
I also have this issue, mine presents slightly differently, what I've found is that I can actually direct RDP onto my win 10 wvd host, specifying the username from my other tenant. I achieved this by first logging into the VM and going to the remote desktop users local group, adding the user account from the other domain (same domain that I joined this domain to during the host setup ARM process.). So I also am doing cross tenant peering, and with a bit of dns work I got the ARM template to join to the AD DS in the other tenant during setup (which is synched from Azure AD, which is synched from AD Sync from on prem)

My problem is however in the application group assignment in WVD in the other tenant, I select my guest user from the other tenant... but when I log into the rdclient website portal as that user I don't get anything listed in there... It's just that last bit which is stopping me - getting that portal to show me the available desktop!!!

Anyone got the same setup as me?

@ghonyme Any update or movement?

Exactly this feature do we need too.
There are several customers which like to work "modern". That means: WVD as first place of contact. To reduce costs and maintenance effort, we thought about building one big WVD environment instead of several small ones.
Therefore the clients will have either a Business Standard/Premium oder M365 E3, licenses are given and it should be fine from this perspective.

Unfortunately the current stage of WVD seems a little "old fashioned" regarding the architecture. Why is there still the need to connect to either an onPrem AD or AADDS? With end user devices it is possible since ages to manage them "cloud only". I know this feature (Azuer AD Hybrid Join) is in pipeline right now but why so late? Didn't it make more sense to implement ist as the spring update came along?

@ghonyme 

Microsoft recently announced this: 

New pricing options for remote app streaming
Many organizations are using Azure Virtual Desktop to stream apps to their own employees who are covered by existing license entitlements. But many organizations also want to use Azure Virtual Desktop to deliver applications “as-a-service” to customers and business partners as well.

Today we are pleased to announce a monthly per-user access pricing option for organizations to use Azure Virtual Desktop to deliver apps from the cloud to external users. For example, this would enable software vendors to deliver their app as a SaaS solution that can be accessed by their customers. In addition to the monthly user price for Azure Virtual Desktop, organizations also pay for Azure infrastructure services based on usage.

Link to Announce 

Does that mean we can invite guest(external) users to our Azure AD, and assign them to WVD app group, without having to go through the process of syncing the users from AD to Azure AD ?
I have the same question...
Is there any update on this?
Good to see there are new features added. But any update around guest users?

https://youtu.be/_PrgdDH1oB4

Anybody has recent information / solved the issue? There is little meaning offering e.g. AVD RAIL applications if we cannot onboard external users to it.

Any update / idea appreciated.
Best, Henri

@nosecam 

You're right, in real world people will most likely use Virtual Desktops to provide controlled access to people outside their organizations (service providers, contractors, some clients). 

Being unable to do that, just makes the solution of little use.