Improvements to history in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Today, we’re excited to share two significant updates to history in Microsoft Edge. We know you have all been eagerly awaiting history sync, and we’re thrilled to announce that we’ve started rolling out support for syncing your browsing history and open tabs across devices. We’re also excited to reveal some improvements we’re making to the way you access your history. We introduced you to a new way of using favorites in Microsoft Edge a few weeks ago, and we’re bringing many of the same enhancements to history as well.

As with favorites, the new history experience is designed to help you quickly get back to the sites you’ve visited previously, including tabs you’ve recently closed or have open on other devices. And many of these changes are based directly on the feedback you’ve shared with us.

History 1.gif

How often do you find the page you want in your history on the first try? Most of the time, there’s some trial and error as you switch back and forth between your history and the various pages to find the right one. The new history experience is designed to simplify this process by opening on top of the current webpage. From here, you can simply click through your history and watch as the page loads in the background. When you find the page you want, simply click anywhere outside of the history menu to close it. Of course, just like favorites, you can also pin history open for a more permanent view as well.

History 2.gif

In addition to your browsing history, you’ll also find pivots for your recently closed tabs and tabs you have open on other devices. History will even remember which pivot you were on last for faster access next time.

We’ve updated recently closed to remember the last 25 tabs and windows from any past session rather than just the previous one, giving you plenty of time to return later. And you can now expand a recently closed window to see all the tabs you had open inside.

History 3.gif

Support for syncing your browsing history and open tabs is a top-requested feature in Microsoft Edge. This feature is still under development and will be made available to everyone in the future, but users who are already part of the rollout will see a third pivot called Tabs from other devices. Here you’ll find all the tabs you have open in Microsoft Edge on other devices, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. Note: Both devices need to have history and tab sync enabled for them to show up.

In response to your feedback, you can now add history to your toolbar right next to favorites and Collections for one-click access. Just open the history menu, click on the history menu button (Menu Button.png), and select Show history button in toolbar. You can also customize your toolbar on the Appearance page in Settings.

History 4.gif

The new history menu also includes all your favorite features from the history page, and you can clear your browsing history via the history menu. If you’d prefer a more immersive view of your history, simply select Manage history in the history menu or type edge://history in your address bar.

We’d love to hear what you think of the new history experience, so please leave us a comment below or let us know via the feedback tool in Microsoft Edge! These changes are currently available for users in the Canary and Dev channels, although sync may not be enabled in all regions yet. We’re also working on updates to the user experience for downloads and other content types. Stay tuned for more details!

William Devereux, Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Edge

87 Replies
This is all very fine, but I Still cannot get the new History function on ONE user account on a PC with 3 user accounts. This is despite it be updated to Version 90.0.818.62 (Official build) (64-bit)
see the link here for more info. Look back through the post for screenshots etc. from me and a few others !! I have done loads of diagnostics and deleted Edge profiles etc. HELP !!!
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/missing-history-button-in-edge-stable/m-p/2354669...

@William Devereux 

Now that Microsoft has removed the #edge-history-accelerator-override flag in edge://flags, will Microsoft be offering users any way to directly access the complete edge://history page with CTRL+H alone or should we believe that you "no longer believe" in that method as "important enough" for all users?

This toggle should've moved to Settings a long time ago. Why are we stuck in edge://flags anyways?

As of Version 97.0.1072.55 (Official build) (64-bit), anyways.

@ikjadoon Can confirm that the feature with opening the full-page history via CTRL + H is no longer available since the flag is gone. It would be really nice to have this now as a settings option @William Devereux 

Now that the history records can be synchronized, will the history records of other devices have an impact on the computer's hard disk storage space?

@ikjadoon 

can confirm this feature no longer works as of today. 97.0.1072.55 (Official build) (64-bit)

@William Devereux This is literally critical for my workflow and forces me to switch to another browser vendor ASAP. Removing features without fallbacks is non-negotiable in my book.

@kamikatze13 Agreed. What a terrible regression. Why not give us the option? It's such a basic feature and decades of muscle memory.

For the shortcut key, which is predominantly used by "power users" that I might assume want to see the full page.

Until then, I've installed this AutoControl Chrome extension that, using "native extension" APIs, can properly control the shortcut combo. It needs a 300 KB "helper" app, but that allows it to 100% override Edge's confusing behavior. Here's how I've set it up. The "Peek Tabs" autofocuses the newly-created tab.

F8BpcAw

Still, what a ridiculous workaround. Is there any explanation forthcoming from Microsoft? What is wrong with a simple toggle?

You've add time to add:

...visual search

...QR codes

...two different PDF viewers

And not a single toggle for CTRL+H history full-page. :(

I've returned to Edge just to check if this feature is back.

Nothing as far as I can see.

why they removed thumbnails mode in history browsing? :sad_but_relieved_face:@William Devereux