SOLVED

Update after update

Brass Contributor

Hi community!

In a database, I have a linked SharePoint list (ListSP). When updating the value of the SPResp field of the list from SharePoint, I want to update the ACCResp field of an Access table named ListACC in the same database automatically. How can I do this process?
Thank you very much.

5 Replies

@RaulSG 

If the two tables are identical, except that one is a linked SharePoint list and the other is a local Access table, the simple solution would be an update query to modify the relevant field(s) in the local Access table. 

However, that begs the question: Why are there two tables? 

Perhaps a full description of the context would be helpful to understanding how best to advise you.

Hi @George Hepworth,
The tables are different. The SP list I use to store a value of a field from a Power Apps app. The Access table is a table of an Access management application that has to get the value of that field from the SP list and assign it to the corresponding record field. That is, I need to do an Update of the ACCResp field of the Access table when the SPResp field of the list changes automatically.
Thanks for your help.

@RaulSG 

Cool. I'm delighted to hear you're working with Power Apps. I'm sorry to hear that it's based on SharePoint lists, though. To be honest, my experience with PA and SP lists is less than compelling. If you have the option, I'd recommend looking into Dataverse over SharePoint lists for that side of the operation. See my series of YouTube videos on PowerApps for Access Developers for some of my experiences and conclusions. I used SP lists in some early applications and came away less than impressed. Dataverse, on the other hand, is relatively new, and therefore less familiar and less comfortable for Access developers. It does have more upside, though, IMO.

best response confirmed by RaulSG (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@RaulSG 

To address the specific requirement, though, we need to consider what it means to be "automatic" here.

"I need to do an Update of the ACCResp field of the Access table when the SPResp field of the list changes automatically."

If I understand correctly, you have a linked SharePoint list in the accdb and you need to run an update query for that linked table and the local table. And you need that to happen whenever a value in the SharePoint list changes. Tough to accomplish perhaps.

I would say a Flow in SharePoint could detect when the values in the SP list change, but that doesn't do any good on the Access side, where the update needs to be completed.

An option in Access might be to put a timer on a form and check the values in the SP list at intervals -- say 60 seconds or 10 minutes or whatever is appropriate -- and fire a function that completes the update if needed. Or you could simply run the update at intervals, again on a timer in a form, anticipating that there may be new values or there may not be.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Your proposal is just what I had expected because of the limitations of SP and Access instead of using Dataverse directly, which is much more powerful and would avoid this situation. For the moment, I will apply your solution although it may not be optimal in terms of performance because I will have to do the update in a short interval (<60 seconds) while still working in the Access management program and may be accessing one of the records being updated.

Thanks again for your comment.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RaulSG (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@RaulSG 

To address the specific requirement, though, we need to consider what it means to be "automatic" here.

"I need to do an Update of the ACCResp field of the Access table when the SPResp field of the list changes automatically."

If I understand correctly, you have a linked SharePoint list in the accdb and you need to run an update query for that linked table and the local table. And you need that to happen whenever a value in the SharePoint list changes. Tough to accomplish perhaps.

I would say a Flow in SharePoint could detect when the values in the SP list change, but that doesn't do any good on the Access side, where the update needs to be completed.

An option in Access might be to put a timer on a form and check the values in the SP list at intervals -- say 60 seconds or 10 minutes or whatever is appropriate -- and fire a function that completes the update if needed. Or you could simply run the update at intervals, again on a timer in a form, anticipating that there may be new values or there may not be.

View solution in original post