Data in Access Forms in a 1 to 1 relationship table

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I am trying to create a simple database for medical research purposes purely for the sake of  ease of use instead of entering into a large excel spreadsheet. The different forms will contain data for the same patient and then for the second patient and so on; the first form contains demographic data, the second, blood tests, echocardiogram and ECG data and then third CT scan data and so on. Therefore it is a one to one relationship between the tables (essentially, a large excel that has been divided). I have created forms to make it easier to enter the data. After I fill the demographic form, a button takes me to the next form and to avoid confusion, I would like some of the demographic data to be filled form what I have already entered in the first form, for example date of birth and the unique identifier, primary key, RGM. I cannot seem to get this to happen. I have created a similar database before and it worked quite well. I am not sure what I have done now and that does not seem to happen. I would appreciate some help. 

3 Replies
You set form2's recordsource to a query that combines table1 (at least the few demographics fields that you want), and table2.

"Therefore it is a one to one relationship between the tables"
I very much doubt that. A patient can have multiple blood tests, multiple CT scans and so on. So most probably you need one to many relationships between the tables.
On the other hand, when they are really one to one, why not have just one table?

We have a better chance of offering relevant feedback when we can seethe tables, in addition to a narrative. Please provide a screenshot of the relationship diagram for your tables.