SOLVED

Site classification link to Office 365 information policies without script or code

Silver Contributor
In September @Chris McNulty referred to that ability to link site classification to information policies without code. This was specified to as 'in the future' Is there a timeline for this feature? It would be great to enable this for admins non-programmatically. Thanks! https://blogs.office.com/2016/09/26/enhanced-conditional-access-controls-encryption-controls-and-sit...
9 Replies
best response confirmed by John Wynne (Silver Contributor)
Solution

We don't have a timeline to share, but feel free to ping me early in 2017 if I haven't published an update yet... :) thanks!

God, I wish that feature were here already :)

I am no powershell guru by any means, but I managed O365 in powershell just fine until I came across the Classifications and Usage Guidelines code.

I've tried following the guide (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/azure/active-directory/active-directory-accessmanagement-groups-set...) to create classifications and previously failed.

Later I've realized that didn't fail utterly, but it only took a while to until my classifications were available, or at least until the GUI showed them.

Now I want to link to some usage guidelines, which I didn't have previously (and therefore left the attribute alone), but am not able to add this hyperlink. Can anyone point out my mistake?

$credential = Get-Credential
Import-Module MsOnline
Connect-MsolService -Credential $credential

Get-MsolAllSettingTemplate

$template = Get-MsolSettingTemplate –TemplateId 62375ab9-6b52-47ed-826b-58e47e0e304b

$setting["UsageGuidelinesUrl"] = "https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/SitePages/some-page-name.aspx"

New-MsolSettings –SettingsObject $setting

after the last command I get this error:

New-MsolSettings : Error calling CreateSettings:
Content {
  "error": {
    "code": "Request_BadRequest",
    "message": "A conflicting object with one or more of the specified property values is present in the directory.",
    "innerError": {
      "request-id": "064fbfff-3b6e-4673-bc2b-c30004193f94",
      "date": "2016-11-30T07:07:00"
    }
  }
}
ErrorException
ErrorMessage
StatusCode BadRequest
StatusDescription Bad Request
ResponseStatus Completed
In row:1 value:1
+ New-MsolSettings -SettingsObject $setting
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-MsolSettings], ApiException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.ApiException,Microsoft.Online.Administration.
   Automation.CreateSettings

***EDIT***

Alright, I think I've managed to figure out how to update my already existing settings.

I had to follow this part of the guide: Update settings at the directory level

except I got confused with all the IDs (template, settings, object), since the first part of documentation matches the IDs 100%, but the "Update settings at the directory level" does not, and I had to use my own ID, and not the one from the documenation.

I still have no idea what exactly I've changed by messing with these directory templats and stuff, but I've got it working now.

Only thing left is, that the Create Group / Create Site Links get released/updated to show these classifications/usage guidelines.

Thanks @Ivan Unger that's really useful stuff! @Chris McNulty has given me a steer now so I'm hopeful it won't be too long before we can access this through a UI. I think it is likely most admins won't have the PowerShell skills to make use of this valuable feature set. Here's to seeing this in early 2017. Best wishes
Check out Feature ID: 78428 [Office 365 Groups: classification is available when creating or modifying a group across apps] on the roadmap.
Was just added to the list I believe.

Is is possible to enabled MFA for specific sites with the site classification and information policy? 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Wynne (Silver Contributor)
Solution

We don't have a timeline to share, but feel free to ping me early in 2017 if I haven't published an update yet... :) thanks!

View solution in original post