SharePoint News publishing

Iron Contributor

Just watched the Ignite session about future publishing experiences, and curious if anyone knows how "SharePoint News" will coincide with Yammer, or if at all?  We currently use Yammer as our "news" feed.  We post announcements or things that are happening, and others can reply and communicate about it.  However, we can't pin important things to the front, so the news feed looks intriguing.  Maybe MS should try and integrate social conversation to the news.  

And on a side note, is anyone else frustrated with the new product names?  Try searching online for "Sharepoint News", lol.

Ignite session:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Ignite-Content/BRK2040-Discover-the-new-SharePoint-...

3 Replies

We are currently working on the 1st iteration of News, which will enable Team News for modern team sites on web and mobile. You can find some more details in the blog post https://blogs.office.com/2016/09/26/enriching-the-mobile-and-intelligent-intranet-with-team-news-app...

In the initial release team news will not have any Yammer integration or conversational features. However, we are planning to add social features, including commenting in the future. We are also considering enabling users to share the News posts to Yammer.

Anything specific you are looking for besides commenting capabilities?

Great to hear.  One thing that would be really great is a news rollup ability.  I'd like individual teams/departments to be able to post news to their own pages, but when an important news item occurs, mark it some way to be included on the home page news feed for the entire organization or location.  So as an example, HR has a team page and posts news that users can browse and look when they desire.  But when a major benefit change occurs, they could mark the news item somehow and it would post both on the HR page, and on the main intranet home page.  

Now that I think about it some more, if you focused on being able to post the news items to Yammer, I'd just keep the Yammer feed on the home page, and then just tell the departments to only share the important news items to Yammer.  

If you don't have conversations on the news items themselves, I think it would be good to have a way for viewers to easily ask a question about the news.  So if they open the news item, have a button that could email the creator or associated Group.  

Thanks for the details, Eric.

We are starting the rollout of team news today (starting with 10% FR), so you should be able to explore it soon by yourself. You can find more details in the blog

Team News will include a team site level rollup of News and we are currently thinking through potential mechanisms to feed the team news into department and company level news. So you comments are very useful and definitly something we will consider.