SOLVED

SharePoint Intranet Usage Analytics

Iron Contributor

Hello Team,

What is the Microsoft's strategy on providing the SharePoint Usage Analytics. 

I see that many enhancements in Analytics are coming up in SharePoint Admin center & also in the site contents home page. But, I am still waiting for the enhancements in Application Insights similar to other popular analytics tools - Web Trends, Cardiolog & Google to track the user analytics.

Can we expect some thing on these lines from Microsoft.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhanu

10 Replies

Going from 2010 to 2013 on prem it seems that analytics have been lost. What is in store in 2016 on prem? Did we get back what we had in 2010? What are the options?

best response confirmed by bhanu chintha (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Check out sesssion BRK2008 - Understand your users: what's new in Office 365 Usage Reporting from Ignite. If you are using Office 365, there is a PowerBI Content Pack coming soon that is awesome!

Thanks a lot Susan Hanley for sharing these details.

Hello Susan,

Will this analytics be extended to the page level analytics of a site for each user. Like how many users are active in each site, Demographics, OS used, Entrance page, landing page, exit page etc..

Thanks & Regards,
Bhanu
IMHO this is something we will know when the feature pack is released, but I don't think you can expect so detailed information
Thanks a lot Juan Carlos for this update.
Yes, I think so. For sure you can slice and dice by department. I tweeted some screen shots from the session demos that I'm pretty sure show what you are looking for. @susanhanley
Thanks Susan.

Does it mean, with this new inclusions will the Analytics in SharePoint will be at par with the web analytics provided by the third party products - Cardiolog, Web
Trends & Google Analytics.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhanu
It really depends on what is important to your organization. You will have to look at the offering (which is just rolling out in preview) and then make a decision about what is right for the outcomes you are trying to achieve. I don't think Microsoft is trying to compete with the products you mention - but they are giving organizations a great tool that can help you get started on the measurement journey.

The Office 365 Adoption preview was to give us awesome insight in to user analytics. However MS included everything but web analytics on your intranet.   IMHO this "new" data doesn't assist with adoption.How do you improve on profiding information to users if you don't know where users are going to get information? Give me back the web analytics.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bhanu chintha (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Check out sesssion BRK2008 - Understand your users: what's new in Office 365 Usage Reporting from Ignite. If you are using Office 365, there is a PowerBI Content Pack coming soon that is awesome!

View solution in original post