SharePoint Home Roadmap

Iron Contributor

I haven't heard much about the plans that Microsoft has for the SharePoint Home Page.  Additionally, UserVoice doesn't provide any insights on this.  Can the SharePoint Team share their plans with us?

Since many of us in the community are planning, testing and implementing newly developed features, it would be good to understand what is coming re: SP Home.  This is important as we make decisions around whether we should invest time into creating a home page experience using a SharePoint Page, or use the native SP Home.  

For example:

• How do you see Hub Sites impacting the Home Page?  Will a Hub site be more heavily weighted than the sites that the hub delivers content for?  How will this relate to other sites in your ecosystem which aren't a hub or aren't part of a hub?
  • What kind of Administrator-controlled customization is planned for the Tiles of a Site? 
    • It would be nice to be able to tag them with a category and have a view by category function allowing you to sort and filter.
    • It would be nice to be able to control the color of the top bar.  Some tiles appear to pick up the color from the palette of the site, others do not.  It would be nice to have this be independent from the site's color so it can be used to categorize "like" things, regardless of what the site looks like.
  • What kind of user views are planned?
    • Will users have the ability to Group, Filter or Sort Sites on their home page?
    • Will a user be able to "Pin" a site?  The featured links functionality is great for an administrator to publish sites.  It would also be good for users to be able to  make their own shortcuts.
  • Will there be Calendar/Event aggregation?
    • The news aggregation feature is awesome
    • Is the same sort of thing planned for calendar items across all the User's sites?
  • What other functionality are you planning on delivering on the SP Home?

The SharePoint Home is a bit of a mystery, any information that can be shared would be appreciated.

----------

If you like these ideas, please vote on them in UserVoice!

Categorize and Customize SharePoint Home Site Tiles

User Personalization of the SharePoint Home

Event Aggregation on SharePoint Home

3 Replies
Hi Beth, apart from a little extra information from @Mark Kashman via his Skype Broadcast AFAIK most of your questions’ answers regarding Hub Sites lie in 2018. :)
What I am sure about is that more information architecture collateral will be needed to shape deployment.
Your post packs a lot of other requests which I am sure are on the backlog.
BTW I love your post for providing me with lots of food for thought!

Thanks @John Wynne :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

What is @Mark Kashman Skype Broadcast AFAIK?  I don't think my SP product team stalking has uncovered that channel before now :eyes:

Hi Beth, it's a series of webinars that Mark does, via live Skype Broadcast, you can join in and ask questions via the group chat.  The most recent one was about the evolution of the SharePoint mobile apps and was super informative.  Mark always posts the on-demand video and slides afterwards, so you can always catch up if you don't attend.