SOLVED

Remove Microsoft Flow from SharePoint Modern Lists

Brass Contributor
Hello Microsoft Community, If you use the modern lists in SharePoint, I noticed that users have the ability to create Microsoft Flows connected to that list with that Microsoft Flow Button attached to the list. Is there a way to turn this feature off? I don't want to revert back the the classic look since the app experience on SharePoint Mobile is worse. Thank You, Brian Knutson
13 Replies
AFAIK, you cannot currently hide this action...if the users has permissions to edit the element, he/she will be able to create Flows attached to the element

Yeah the only other thing to perhaps consider is setup Data Policies in PowerApps to limit the ability to mingle Business & Non-Business Data systems to limit the exposure? 

best response confirmed by Brian Knutson (Brass Contributor)
Solution

From GUI NO you cannot do that but there is a workaround, don't Assign Flow License in the O 365 Admin Panel.

It still throws an ugly error if someone clicks on it in the Modern UI.

flow and power app license.jpg

You are correct, but this workaround will imply the user will not been able to create a Flow in any Document Library / List in the entire SPO tenant

Agree

Not sure where Microsoft is going when it comes to Governance or Admin stuff. 

Not sure if this is workaround. We also tried to hide those buttons and didn't assign flow and power apps licenses and users are still able to see buttons in the Modern UI and create new Flows. The only difference is that there are no tiles for Flow and PowerApps in App Launcher.

Interesting and in my case they do show up in the Modern UI but throw an error if someone trys to use them. According to MS support, they will be releasing an update soon to address this.

This has to be added by Microsoft, and it is an easy one IMO.

Add it on a per List / per Library basis in the "Advanced Settings", the same way you turn off Quick Edit, you need to be able to turn off Flow and PowerApps
I would like to see if they say it's "easy" :-)...by the way, I would like to have that setting.
The solution that is, maybe not the implementation :)
I like Flow but anytime I try to create a complicated flow with extra steps it always fails eventually. A good example is I made on that if I place a document in a OneDrive folder, it will sync the file to every SharePoint site. It worked maybe two times then failed ever since. The failure codes don't say much and people online havent posted enough about it. If it actually works I would definitely prefer it over IFTTT. Not sure if Flow can handle many steps at once. I had the file syncing to 5 or 6 SP document librarys which where all accurately named when creating the flow.

The Set-SPOSite PowerShell cmdlet has a parameter you can pass called "DisableFlows" but this would be done at a site collection level. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161394.aspx

Some additional info...

In the uservoice, there is request to disable Flow for a site collection: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/15619065-option-to-disabl...

And it is impossible to block the usage of the Free Flow:

What is the Microsoft Flow Free Plan?

The Microsoft Flow Free Plan is used only for tracking purposes. Enabling or disabling it has no effect on a user's ability to create flows. If you disable the Microsoft Flow Free Plan, it becomes enabled again when a user logs in. This is the expected behavior.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/organization-q-and-a

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Brian Knutson (Brass Contributor)
Solution

From GUI NO you cannot do that but there is a workaround, don't Assign Flow License in the O 365 Admin Panel.

It still throws an ugly error if someone clicks on it in the Modern UI.

flow and power app license.jpg

View solution in original post