Add OneNote 2016 Notebook to SharePoint 2016 On-Prem

Deleted
Not applicable
I have a user asking me how to add a OneNote notebook to his on-prem SharePoint 2016 site. I'm having a little trouble finding a legitimate answer to that question. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
6 Replies

In the NoteBook Properties there is a "Change Location" button that let's you choose a new sync location. Have they tried using that and navigating to their on-prem SharePoint as the new location?

I tried that... I created a test OneNote Notebook, and went into the properties and selected change location, then entered the on prem site url in the folder name box. I got an error that said "The folder name is not valid."

You probably need more than the site url - try navigating (or posting the url) to a document library within that site.

I tried that too, I get the same error.

I tried it myself locally and it was successful with no error for me. Something else must be going on here, but I'm not sure what.  Are other Office documents like a Word 2016 doc able to successfully save to the same SharePoint doc library location using this browse-to method?

Hi Allison,

In my SharePoint 2016 server, in a Documents library if the content types haven't been messed with, then the default New dropdown shows various Office files and a OneNote notebook is one of them.  You can also pick a SharePoint site library via the New dropdown in OneNote 2016.  Also, in case you haven't seen, Microsoft is moving away from the OneNote 2016 client and merging features into the Windows 10 OneNote app.  You can read more here.  If you want, you can also create a OneNote book template, save it as a OneNote package and upload that into a custom content type and that on the New dropdown as well.