ideas for automatization of the file

Brass Contributor

Hello everybody,

I'm facing a big challenge, I have to make everything as simple as possible. The problem is handling the fresh data. I've made a sample file, how it should all look like. I'm gonna explain my problem now.

For the purpose of this request the work "Arkusz" means Sheet. In "Arkusz1" I have an entry data(in columns A-O) the rest is needed to be calculated, but luckly table does that. In "Arkusz2" I've made a pivot table that creates vital data for the rest of the analysis. In "Arkusz3" we have copied data from pivot and I'm making crucial calculations over there. The whole issue is, I would like to make this calculations always for the data for the freshest month, in sample I've made that by hand for the June, the formulas are included - for how their should be calculated. Anybody maybe have an idea how to make that automatic(when I'll add a data for July the file will make this calculations for July not June)? In case of any questions do not hesitate to ask. Kind regards.

Sample is included. 

2 Replies

Hi there,

I would recommend thinking about additional years as well as months. Also, since the PivotTable is based on the Table on Arkusz1, and they don't refresh automatically, your formulas should point to Arkusz1 instead of Arkusz2. The first thing you need to do is define the calculations you are wanting to make.

To start, you can dispense with copying/pasting the PivotTable data to Arkusz3. Instead you need to change the cells in columns B through Y into formulas which will return the lastest months data, including the three prior months, since those are what your calculations are looking at. To do this, it will be easier with the help of a few named formulas, to assist in calculating the latest/prior dates.

Define four names.

Name: LatestDate1

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-1)+1

Name: LatestDate2

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-2)+1

Name: LatestDate3

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-3)+1

Name: LatestDate4

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-4)+1

If you don't know how to create these, it's the 'Define Name' button on the 'Data' ribbon tab. Or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+F3, then click 'New'.

Once you have these names in place, you can use the formulas below to return the desired data. Enter these in cells B2:Q2. Once they're all in, select B2:Q2, hover your mouse over the bottom-right corner until your cursor turns into a bold "+" sign, then drag down five rows.

B2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[ Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

C2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

D2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

E2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

F2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[ Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

G2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

H2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

I2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

J2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[ Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

K2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

L2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

M2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

N2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[ Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

O2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

P2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

Q2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

Your formulas in R:Z can stay the same. Once you've done the above, columns N:Q will always be the latest months data from Arkusz1, columns J:M will be one month prior, columns F:I will be two months prior, and columns B:E will be three months prior.

To show you how the results match what you have, I've adjusted your sample file and uploaded it with the above names and formulas in place.

Hi there,

I would recommend thinking about additional years as well as months. Also, since the PivotTable is based on the Table on Arkusz1, and they don't refresh automatically, your formulas should point to Arkusz1 instead of Arkusz2. The first thing you need to do is define the calculations you are wanting to make.

To start, you can dispense with copying/pasting the PivotTable data to Arkusz3. Instead you need to change the cells in columns B through Y into formulas which will return the lastest months data, including the three prior months, since those are what your calculations are looking at. To do this, it will be easier with the help of a few named formulas, to assist in calculating the latest/prior dates.

Define four names.

Name: LatestDate1

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-1)+1

Name: LatestDate2

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-2)+1

Name: LatestDate3

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-3)+1

Name: LatestDate4

Formula: =EOMONTH(MAX(Tabela1[Value Date]),-4)+1

If you don't know how to create these, it's the 'Define Name' button on the 'Data' ribbon tab. Or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+F3, then click 'New'.

Once you have these names in place, you can use the formulas below to return the desired data. Enter these in cells B2:Q2. Once they're all in, select B2:Q2, hover your mouse over the bottom-right corner until your cursor turns into a bold "+" sign, then drag down five rows.

NOTE: Prior to entering the below formulas, on the Arkusz1 sheet, change the " Volume $" header to remove the leading space. It should be "Volume $" with no space (and no quotes). If you don't do this then some of the below formulas won't work for you.

B2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

C2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

D2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

E2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate4),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

F2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

G2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

H2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

I2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate3),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

J2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

K2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

L2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

M2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate2),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

N2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Volume $] ,Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

O2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[Revenue $],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

P2: =COUNTIFS(Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

Q2: =SUMIFS(Tabela1[uniq_cur],Tabela1[Year],YEAR(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Month],MONTH(LatestDate1),Tabela1[Customer],$A2)

Your formulas in R:Z can stay the same. Once you've done the above, columns N:Q will always be the latest months data from Arkusz1, columns J:M will be one month prior, columns F:I will be two months prior, and columns B:E will be three months prior.

To show you how the results match what you have, I've adjusted your sample file and uploaded it with the above names and formulas in place.